EZ Loader coupler binding - surge brakes

kep5niner

Cadet
I have a 2006 EZ Loader Custom trailer (3,500# GVW). Brakes are adjusted properly. When towing with my Explorer, I hear binding and grinding, almost as if the brakes are dragging. It appears the brakes are not disengaging fully. Is there a spring or shock in the couple that is serviceable or could have failed? The brake fluid is at the appropriate level. I don't have these issues when towing with my F250 - the only difference is the F250 tows 1"-2" higher at the tongue. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pete

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Is your trailer completely level? Have you taken off the drums to inspect the brakes themselves?

kep5niner

Cadet
Trailer is level with the Explorer, slightly nose-high with the F250 (1"-2") - but I don't have any issues when towing it with the F250.

The brakes are in great shape, and are properly adjusted. It appears that if I physically push the trailer aft, there are no issues. But after the first braking event when towing with the Explorer, the grinding persists. It seems as though there should be a return spring - or something providing tension - that should release the trailer brakes when the forward inertia / momentum subsides (like when coming off the brakes in the tow vehicle). I'm not familiar enough with the design of the brake piston assembly / coupler on the trailer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There is a spring but just pulling away from a stop would easily pull the coupler out releasing the master cylinder pressure.

Easy job to pull these actuators apart and grease all the friction points. The return springs in these will last many years unless they get dunked in salt water. What brand coupler?

These are drum brakes correct?

kep5niner

Cadet
Correct on the drum brakes. I have lubed all moving parts that I could see for the coupler, I just didn't know if there were any internal parts that I couldn't see that may need lubrication, servicing, or can be prone to failure. This has been a fresh water boat since new - 2006. Not sure of the exact brand of the coupler - whatever came original on an EZ Loader custom trailer.

kep5niner

Cadet
I'll see if I can grab some pics tonight. Thanks for your interest and help!

kep5niner

Cadet
No Title

This is this coupler referenced. Where I'm pointing at is what appears to not disengage, thus the subsequent binding. Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo265209.jpg
    photo265209.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo265210.jpg
    photo265210.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 1

kep5niner

Cadet
Bruce - fantastic resources! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. We'll have the boat hooked up this weekend and I'll report back with my findings. Thanks again!

kep5niner

Cadet
Well, Wx had a vote for this past weekend, so no test run with the boat / trailer. This weekend, we'll be on the road, though, and I'll report back. I did attempt to reset the emergency brake actuator, but the "tab" bellow the actuator either was not engaged, or cannot stay disengaged. I did order the emergency brake cable and retaining disk, as both of those items were missing from the actuator.

kep5niner

Cadet
I ordered and installed the safety break-away cable, disassembled and inspected the UFP A70 actuator, and flushed and bled the brake system as well. Test drive scheduled for tonight, and hopefully all goes well before hitting the road for the long weekend.

Again, great information and feedback from the community here! Thank you!

kep5niner

Cadet
Towed the boat / trailer over 6 hours this past weekend. The brakes operated flawlessly. The solution was in-fact installing the break-away cable, which in turn allowed the break-away "tab" at the bottom of the actuator to be reset properly. When the break away cable was not operational (or installed, for that matter), the tab could not be reset; thus, the brakes were dragging.

Two big wins from this: 1) the brakes are operating as they should, and not dragging. Braking action is great, and they disengage properly; 2) I now have the break-away cable installed and operational.

Thanks again!!! Hope this can help someone else with the same / similar issues.