grease fittings

boatman37

Lieutenant
last year i was greasing my wheel bearings and one of them came out. not thinking much of it i bought a pack of new ones. tried to put a new one in and no luck. so decided to remove one of the other ones to see if it would thread in but it wouldn't come out. it spun so it was loosened but wasn't threading out. is there some other type that i am not aware of?

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
With no pic I'll guess it's a press in style. You could try installing a new press in. Myself I'd drill and tap the hole to 1/4"x 28 and buy the same zerk to screw in.
Mike

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you talking about the bearing buddy?
if so they just get hit in with a soft mallet, or hammer and block of wood. To get the other one out, just tap it with a hammer.

post a pic

boatman37

Lieutenant
doubt a pic will show much. i tried looking in yesterday. i don't have the old fitting so can't gt a pic of it and can't get another out and afraid to if i did get it out. not sure if it is a bearing buddy. all i know is the standard grease fitting won't screw in and the one in another wheel doesn't unthread out

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pic will show us exactly what you are referring to and not guessing

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If it's a Zerk under the rubber grease cap on the spindle end, get a rubber grease gun nipple, not the proper name, grease it up and put the cap back on. There is no pressure to worry about.

boatman37

Lieutenant
just noticed there is some writing on the hub so i will try to get a better look at that tomorrow

josh_booth

Seaman
That's a drive in type grease fitting. If it was threaded it would be hex to fit a wrench. You can either get a drive in type zerk or take the cap off and drill and tap it to take a threaded zerk.

Note, I have also seen a rivet type that cannot be replaced, but that's on a special bearing on a farm Implement