Bunk board replacement

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
The bunk boards on my boat need to be replaced. What is the best glue for the carpet and what type of wood?
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
type of wood depends on the type of boat

Cypress is probably the best wood for bunks. however kiln dried lumber works great for aluminum boats

however most of the bunks I have ever had was carpet stapled in place. I used Monel staples

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just did mine last year. Got pressure treated 2x6, cut to length. Exterior carpet also cut to size. I used 3M spray adhesive to position the carpet and to help it not slide around as I pulled it tight underneath and stapled with galvanized staples. Also used new galvanized lag bolts to mount bunks to trailer. After a year and about 20 dunks, still looks new.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
So the spray-on 3M worked well? Cool. Should make it easier

pckeen

Commander
I just used regular pine, but I have an aluminum hull, so pressure treated was not an option. I stapled the carpet using stainless steel staples.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you haven't already finished the replacement, If you have access to a router, you can use a 1/2" round over bit on all the edges to soften the edges to make sure no carpet cuts through when loading the boat. And some, self included, likes to taper cut the very ends of the wood to allow an easier loading of the boat. It isn't much, but it helps. Just some ideas if you want to try them. :noidea:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guy's,
Those are good ideas. I may have to go old school on the edges as I don't have a router. I'll definitely sand all the edges and chamfer the loading edge. I checked out a couple local lumber yards and their selection is rather shoddy. Guess I'll go with pressure treated 2 x 6. I've looked at several trailers with my type of boat on them. I see a fair number of them where the bunks extend past the rear bracket about 2 or 3". I'm thinking of doing the same? Mine currently are even with the bracket. Is it a good idea to glue the carpet?

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I bought some pressure treated 2 x 6 bunk boards at the local hardware store yesterday. I got it home and after looking more closely it looks like crap. So disappointed. The lumber yard let me pick whatever I wanted but getting to a decent board was impossible. This stuff is so wet, it's very heavy. And there looks to be a lot of knots. I'm taking this back. Damn

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I bought some pressure treated 2 x 6 bunk boards at the local hardware store yesterday. I got it home and after looking more closely it looks like crap. So disappointed. The lumber yard let me pick whatever I wanted but getting to a decent board was impossible. This stuff is so wet, it's very heavy. And there looks to be a lot of knots. I'm taking this back. Damn

Most of the time pressure treated lumber is wet...and heavy because of that. It takes a while for it to dry. As for the knots, that is about a given these days with most wood anymore. If you want knot free, you will pay the increased price. But usually the knots don't effect most things. So unless you can repick and get pressure treated that is already dry and knot free, I don't see much changing with taking it back. Besides the carpet covers it and you wouldn't see it again. JMHO

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
After reviewing some options and continuing to over think every detail I've decided to just use the pressure treated wood I've got. Thanks again gm280

gm280

Supreme Mariner
After reviewing some options and continuing to over think every detail I've decided to just use the pressure treated wood I've got. Thanks again gm280

Probably the better idea, and you will forget all about it after you install the new bunks. JMHO