Making trailer longer

Rsb1970

Seaman
I know someone who is willing to make the tongue longer on this trailer to make it fit the boat. Is it safe to do this? I would have to add about 3 ft.

Attachments

• photo260206.PNG
    photo260206.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo260207.PNG
    photo260207.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well that depends on how it is added. Form the first picture of your setup, yes that trailer is way too short for that boat. The transom of the boat should be sitting over the last cross member of the trailer. And then you want the bow of the boat back enough from the end of the trailer tongue to give you enough turning ability.

So to answer your question, yes it can be added to. However, I would replace the entire tonque to do that, and actually did on my trailer rebuild. If you care to see that, click on my trailer rebuild link below and take a look. JMHO

Alumarine

Captain
Might want to make sure the weight capacity of the trailer is adequate as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That trailer looks way too small. As Marc pointed out, is the trailer capacity large enough?

Rsb1970

Seaman
I know the trailer is to small. That's why I want to make it longer. The boat and trailer was given to me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not only is it too short to accommodate that boat, the weight capacity of the trailer may not be sufficient to carry that much weight.

For example, a normal 16ft boat will only weigh so much, so 1000lb springs (2 per axle, so 2000lb capacity) is usually sufficient. But jump up to an 18ft boat and the axle and springs will need to carry more weight, so they are often 1500lb springs, again 2 per axle, which also needs to be rated for 3K, so 3000lb capacity.

Apparently, because you want to make the trailer 3ft longer, you might be jumping up to a 19ft+ boat on a 16ft boat's trailer. Probably weighs nearer to 3000lbs and might NEED 1750lb springs (2per to carry 3500lbs) w an appropriately sized axle. Whats the weight of the boat and the trailer as is (weighed separately)?

Boat trailer makers dont use more spring then is required for the load a trailer is designed to carry. A 1500lb boat on a trailer rated for 3500lb will get beat half to death because it isn't heavy enough to utilize the trailers suspension, whatever type it has. And heavier suspension components cost more, so that makes the trailer more expensive then it really needs to be.

Rsb1970

Seaman
I don't have any way to weigh the boat but my calculations come up to about 900 to 1000 lbs.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't have any way to weigh the boat but my calculations come up to about 900 to 1000 lbs.

If you have a truck stop near by or even a land fill usual have scales to weigh things. Just a thought.

However, If you seriously think it is around 1000 pound, then your trailer should be able to handle that boat without issue. I would change the entire tongue from where it attaches at the frame to the receiver hitch. And then you don't have to worry about piece part seams with welding and such.

I did that exact change on my old trailer. And it came out perfect and very strong. So it is doable.

Again if you care to see how I did that, click on my trailer rebuild link below and take a look. JMHO

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I did the same thing with mine with a bigger boat, it is a full roller trailer. I installed a long tongue (factory Load Rite tongue) and added longer roller bars. I did this about 8 years ago and its been fine ever since. I only do local towing at low speeds, if I were going to tow long distances I'd probably sell this trailer and buy a tandem. For my use the single which is a bit on the narrow side actually works better because I have a narrow driveway, narrow streets, etc.

Attachments

• photo18929.jpg
    photo18929.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18932.jpg
    photo18932.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0