Trailer Wiring Converter

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Howdy! I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra. At present I only get left turn signal and left brake on the trailer lights. Very bright but that's all I get. I think I need a converter
since the turn signals are separate from (above) the
tail lights. I've tested every circuit in the truck wiring with a probe and I get left turn red, right turn and brake brown. But, I've checked every wire and nothing lights up for tail lights. Not sure what to do at this point. Thoughts?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did your truck come with factory trailer wiring - a 7 pin plug? If so check all your fuses, should be a fuse box under the hood with fuses set aside strictly for the trailer wiring. If not you will need a light adapter as stated above.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If your truck has a towing pkg. ,you have blown fuses in the towing fuse box under the hood,on the driver's side.My Tundra has this set-up and I've had to replace fuses occasionaly.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Did your truck come with factory trailer wiring - a 7 pin plug? If so check all your fuses, should be a fuse box under the hood with fuses set aside strictly for the trailer wiring. If not you will need a light adapter as stated above.

Thanks guys. I just read my initial post and found it severely lacking (it was typed on a phone after a couple hours with the lights and a few beers:sleeping:), so let me try to clarify things a bit. The truck does have the round seven pin plug under the bumper. When I first bought it I picked up an adapter so I could plug in the flat blade connectors on my trailers. I'm beginning to question myself at this point, but I seem to remember the trailer lights working correctly for a while (definitely would not swear to it). Two tows ago I had right turn/right brake only on the raft trailer (haven't towed the jon boat in a while), then the next tow I had nothing. I replaced the lights (needed to anyway) and now I have left turn/left brake only.

I figured I'd need a converter so I picked up a kit when I bought the lights. Seemed like a pretty easy process so I jumped right into it. Using a probe I was able to isolate left turn (red), right turn (brown) and brake (also brown). However, I probed every wire repeatedly and never could isolate tail. So the questions are:

Since brake and turn (at least brake and right turn and I assume brake and left turn) are on the same circuit do I need the converter? Based on the description in the link it sounds like I don't, but who knows?
Why no tail? I tried to check fuses but the diagram in the owner's manual didn't match what I saw under the hood so I didn't try very hard LOL. I'll work on that.
Why only right side before and only left side now?

So many questions!:eek:

alldodge

Staff member
You have the colors on the trailer mix by the looks of it

Brown - tail lights
Green - Right turn/brake
Yellow - Left turn/brake
White - Ground

trailer wiring diagram.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral
You have the colors on the trailer mix by the looks of it

Brown - tail lights
Green - Right turn/brake
Yellow - Left turn/brake
White - Ground

Those are the colors in the truck's wiring, not the trailer's. I noted them when using the probe to try and determine which circuit was which.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Update: I finally had a chance to return to the scene of the crime. Still couldn't make sense of the manual's fuse diagram so I just popped the cover off each panel and started yankin'. (Side note; don't do that with the key on:facepalm:) The good news is 1. I now know where the towing fuses are. They have their own cute little panel, which of course was the last one I got to. 2. Two of the three fuses in said panel were blown, so I replaced them and I now have trailer lights! I figure I blew them when I backed it into the water with hot bulbs but who knows? The raft trailer is subjected to all sorts of abuse. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

alldodge

Staff member
Be in the habit of pulling the trailer connector before backing into the water.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Be in the habit of pulling the trailer connector before backing into the water.

I finally broke down and bought fully sealed LED units. Needed to replace the ones that were on there anyway and I figured it'd be worth it. This is the trailer I keep my WW raft on so in most cases it doesn't get backed into the water anyway as we just spin it on the bunks and slide it off sideways, but it's nice to be able to on occasion. I don't trust myself to remember to disconnect LOL. Hopefully I'll at least get a few years out of these lights before they're beat to death on sketchy roads.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i think you will really like them, i switched over last year when i did a trailer rebuild, they are a lot brighter in day light, its never happened but i all ways worried about getting hit from the rear but now i dont

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I replaced the lights on my trailer with LEDs, too, and they really are nice and bright. Also much less likely to go bad from being beat up on rough roads. My fixtures have fallen out of the cutouts on the trailer from bumpy roads, but the LEDs keep on shining...

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I replaced the lights on my trailer with LEDs, too, and they really are nice and bright. Also much less likely to go bad from being beat up on rough roads. My fixtures have fallen out of the cutouts on the trailer from bumpy roads, but the LEDs keep on shining...

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought too. My raft trailer is subjected to some serious abuse. I've been through several sets of cheapies.