welding galvanized

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I would like to weld my winch post to my steel/painted trailer. The winch post is galvanized though and I'm wondering what kind of prep might make this go easier?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and drink milk before and as you weld. then drink milk after. welding galvanize creates a poisonous gas, and the milk helps prevent you from getting seriously sick

fhhuber

Lieutenant
VERY good ventilation preferably a fan blowing the fumes away from you.

Lead, Zinc and other metals in the galvanizing layer which sill accumulate in your system and essentially never go away.

You can actually weld right through the galvanizing with very little to worry about as far as the weld itself is concerned.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Us a respirator when welding galvanized metal.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Here is a little primer for welding galvanized metals. And I have to say I welded a lot of galvanized metals and never experienced any effects myself. But to each their own. JMHO

Welding Galvanized Steel

The difference between welding galvanized steel and welding uncoated steel is a result of the low vaporization temperature of the zinc coating. Zinc melts at about 900˚F and vaporizes at about 1650˚F. Since steel melts at approximately 2,750˚F and the welding arc temperature is 15,000 to 20,000˚F, the zinc that is near the weld does not stand a chance -- it's vaporized! By the time the weld pool freezes, the zinc is gone. This has two immediate consequences: ? The vaporized zinc increases the volume of welding smoke and fumes. ? The zinc at and near any welds is actually burned off by the heat of the arc, removing the protective zinc coating.

Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard? When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated by the body without complications or chronic effects. Another area of research is use of zinc compounds as the active ingredients in throat lozengers that are recognized as significantly effective in reducing the duration and intensity of the common cold.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
The milk does suppress the flu like symptoms, I know from experience. What will do damage to you is welding with hard rod which has chromium and other exotic metals in it
Mike

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A lot of people get the chills/shivers for a day or two after they inhaled the fumes

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks,
I've done some checking online and all your tips are prudent.
Much appreciated

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's a simple job. Grind the area grab some 7014 rod and burn her in. That little bit of weld won't be enough to poison you. Don't over think it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't worry about welding your winch setup one little bit. Just be careful and weld away. You will be finished with it long before you know it. And then carry on with more important things. JMHO.

bigdee

Commander
I wouldn't worry about welding your winch setup one little bit. Just be careful and weld away. You will be finished with it long before you know it. And then carry on with more important things. JMHO.

I agree. Unless your doing alot of welding there is nothing to worry about. I have welded plenty of galvanized steel with no protection other than good ventilation. I never felt any ill effects and I'm now 70 years old and still welding.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The tongue on my trailer is 3 1/2" wide. I could not find a winch post set-up with a base wide enough to fit that tongue that would allow a bolt-on set-up. The bolt-on was my first choice because it would be easy to install. I could have just built my own set-up but after all was said and done this seemed the most cost effective way.

Attachments

• photo262985.jpg
    photo262985.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263472.jpg
    photo263472.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would modify the base of the winch stand to fit your cross member instead of welding it to the trailer.

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I may end up doing just that. The winch stand will be here Thursday.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully, you are using a substantial welder to do this. A 110V welder is not going to do it.

Last edited: