Hydraulics dried up and rusted, what do I do?

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled the boat for the first time since last summer, First thing I noticed is the brakes weren't working. When I got home, I pulled the cap to the master cylinder and it was dry and rusty.

So, what are the recommendations, obviously a new m/c, but how do I know which one to buy? Would I need to go all the way back to the wheel cylinders as well?

The boat and trailer are vintage 1996, any input is appreciated.

Thanks again,

wrench 3

Commander
There should be a manufacturer and serial number on the hitch. You would have to go to a trailer specialty shop to get parts. To be honest, most times you have to replace the hitch assembly but you may get lucky.
There's a good chance that one of the wheel cylinders was leaking and caused the problem. They're cheap compared to the master. I'd replace them also.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you need wheel cylinders, a complete loaded backing plate assembly is the way to go.

Regarding the master cylinder. If you need to replace much more, like the damper, etc, a whole actuator may be cheaper

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think rust in the brake lines may be a insurmountable problem. You may have to replace everything that the rust could be in. I'm not sure however.

Sounds like surge brakes. Will be manufacturer information on the hitch assembly. There are parts easily available for some.

Have you found brake fluid on your tires?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have had to replace about three or four Tie down brand surge brake masters. I have been happy with the Dempco brand. Almost every boat I have bought used needed a new controller. I boat in fresh water and have never had to replace brake lines, just wheel cylinders. Not a real bad chore. I did make a brake bleeder tool out of a plastic coke bottle to help with bleeding the brakes. Good luck Dave-R