Do I need longer bunk boards?

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The more I look at my project, the more I see that needs attention. I found the bottom of my hull is bent, or the bunk board is just to short. The hull is empty, no floor, nothing, just empty and I see at the end of the bunk board the bend in the bottom of the boat. I have no idea if this is the stock trailer for the boat, or a different trailer with short bunks. The hull has been welded at the ends of the ribs inside, so I suspect this corner of the boat has been damaged. I am replacing the board, and thinking about extending the bunks all the way to the front frame support. I just wanted some opinions or thoughts, so I have a couple of pics of the bend. If the pics are sideways, it's because my computer is fussy.

Attachments

• photo262690.JPG
    photo262690.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262691.JPG
    photo262691.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would go longer - to the front crossmember, and raise the one roller

however with that bad of a hook in the boat, performance is going to suffer.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would go longer and also rotate the boards 90 degrees. Better to have the boat resting on 4" of bunk instead of 2"

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would go longer - to the front crossmember, and raise the one roller

however with that bad of a hook in the boat, performance is going to suffer.
Thanks, thats what i'll do. It is what it is, it's just gotta catch fish. Suffering is when the fish wont bite. ;-)

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would go longer and also rotate the boards 90 degrees. Better to have the boat resting on 4" of bunk instead of 2"

I concur, the flat side is the weakest side of the board, but for support and carry the side is prefered.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not enough pics to see the true story, so it can only be a guess.

Back in the day full keel rollers and short bunks were the norm. I owned several and they work just fine. I would guess that the roller supporting the stem is missing, and/or the keel rollers were misaligned, causing lack of keel support. Add to that a lot of downward force on both the transom straps and the winch, thus cantilevering the hull right at the leading end of the bunks.

Changing the bunks will not cure the hull. Straightening up the keel rollers and adding one forward might improve launching. With the shape of that hull speed much above plane will undoubtedly cause very poor ride and handling.

A few adjustments might be in order, but expensive mods will not be cost effective.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not enough pics to see the true story, so it can only be a guess

A few adjustments might be in order, but expensive mods will not be cost effective.

Thank you for your thoughts Jim , I will put a straight edge on in when I flip the hull over to paint it. I think I can tweak it straighter by a couple of ways while it is bottom side up. I do want to put longer bunks on and the rollers are probably needing a retirement party to.
I think I can block up at the bend area from underneath and brace up to the barn beam cealing with a jack to apply pressure on each side of the bend a ways out and gently give it a tweak.