tire wear on ezloader trailer

Jimtraywick

Recruit
I have a 1995 18' Alumaweld Intruder on a ez loader trailer. I started with 3 new tires and within a short while the right tire wore the outside bare. I put on a new tire and shortly after the left tire did the same thing. I just had the alignment checked and it is fine. I not sure what to check or do next before I buy more tires. The tire are 13" C rated.

ezmac

Seaman Apprentice
Something is wrong. Tires just don't wear uneven or develop irregular wear without a reason. A picture would help a lot. Did the problem just start? For a tire to wear irregular on one side then switch to another tire smacks of something is shifting or moving. Need more info.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
sounds like your spindles are bent.. irregular wear on the "outside"? that's odd.... inside wear is far more common, that is usually due to overload, or if the axle was installed with the camber pitch upside down...(ie- new axles have a preset bend (camber) of a few degrees when load applied goes straight). what your describing, I would say spindles are bent (down) somehow....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is it a spring axle, or a torsion axle? How long have you owned this trailer?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I take it the trailer has a solid axle mounted to springs. I'm wondering if someone flipped the axle over on the springs to raise/lower the trailer rather than having new spring mounts put on the axle. If it is a solid axle is the middle of the axle bent up or down or is it perfectly flat; it should be bent up in the middle, if it is bent down then someone either put the axle in upside down or flipped the axle wrong. The up bend in the axle sets the camber which is set by the weight carrying capacity of the axle and also sets the toe in of the tires. as asked above - how was the alignment checked?

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also check the bearings. Easily done by grabbing the top of each tire and shaking back and forth as hard as you can. If there is slop, the bearings need to be tightened. I have seen this a few times.