Is this a good enough to tow well?

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Or if you prefer Ford, a 6.7 F650 and mas as well wait for the 2018 King Ranch, should be able to get it for under $100K...lol

R055

Chief Petty Officer
But wait, you might upgrade to a bigger boat that weights 6000 in the future. Just get a semi truck.

Just kidding but my opinion on this subject is if the manufacture rated the car to tow 4000 then it can tow 4000.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
But wait, you might upgrade to a bigger boat that weights 6000 in the future. Just get a semi truck.

Just kidding but my opinion on this subject is if the manufacture rated the car to tow 4000 then it can tow 4000.
I am of similar thinking though I like to try and stay 5% under, simply because I figure my guesses on weight are not always right.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Dakota owners won't like or agree with me but I've known 3 people with them over the last 20 years and all had problems with them. Some were just annoying minor problems but problems kept occurring, it seems something was always going wrong. There were a couple major problems too. All 3 owners stated they would never buy another Dakota again. I believe their dependability/reliability ratings are low. Just throwing this out there for what's it's worth.

bigdee

Commander

^^^^^^x2^^^^^ And the manufactures rating is conservative because the engineering data has a safety margin. Its not an absolute.....if you exceed it by a few hundred pounds the world is not going to come to an end.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class
^ Exactly how conservative depends somewhat on the vehicle though. Towing capacity is emphasized in the marketing of full sized pickups, so the rating will have as little safety margin as the manufacturer thinks they can get away with. Conversely, tow ratings for cars are often set very conservatively because the manufacturer wants to upsell buyers to a higher margin SUV or truck. Just about any vehicle on the road can tow 2000 lb, but most cars are rated for half that or less. Small SUVs and pickups are somewhere in the middle - they need to appear capable, but there is still room for an upsell.

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
As a "yeah, but"... I drive a "legacy" Superduty pickup that is rated to pull 10K pounds on the tongue or up to a 12K-pound 5th wheel. The vehicle (with a big enough engine) can pull far more weight, but the combined vehicle weight is the show stopper - the Superduty is a rolling anvil. I have known people on the flat that pull 20K pounds on a regular basis - which surpasses the sticker by 4 tons. Just sayin'.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
As a "yeah, but"... I drive a "legacy" Superduty pickup that is rated to pull 10K pounds on the tongue or up to a 12K-pound 5th wheel. The vehicle (with a big enough engine) can pull far more weight, but the combined vehicle weight is the show stopper - the Superduty is a rolling anvil. I have known people on the flat that pull 20K pounds on a regular basis - which surpasses the sticker by 4 tons. Just sayin'.

Yeah quite common for people with f250's and 2500's to tow like a f350 or 3500 because "it has the same engine".

philipp10

Seaman
Let me give you my 2 cents on this. I have a 2008 RAV4, 4 cyl. Tow rating is 1500. The V6 version is rated 3500. (why so much more???) My first boat was a 17 ft boat and trailer, weighed about 2600 loaded, NO trailer brakes. Pulled it all over the place, always felt fine however, I was more concerned about stopping the boat that getting it going (especially down hills). Second boat was 18 ft, weight of about 3300 loaded. It HAD surge brakes. I used to routinely pull it 20 miles, no issues. With the surge brakes and a better suspension, it felt safer than the smaller boat. I would say that any more than 20 miles, I would rent a truck. Also I preferred to keep my speed under 60 mph even though I crept up to 70 a few times.

Now as other posters mentioned, at some point with certain roads, it can feel like the tail wagging the dog. I felt that once and don't care to feel that again. That was the first time I towed the larger boat and my tongue was too light. Keeping your speed down under 60 helps a ton too. But to be truly safe, a larger vehicle is the way to go.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Haha this is cracking me up. Its a valid point though, some people think nothing short of a tractor trailer can tow!

In all honesty, I have a jeep with the 3.7 and it tows very poorly. No low end torque, it struggles pretty bad. Slow accelerations, slow on the hills, horrible mpg, etc. If I was looking for something to tow at all I would skip on the 3.7. If you are close to the ramp and never plan on towing any distance at all you would be fine... Its just not a fun experience after Ive towed with a hemi and I know what its like to have a V8. You literally cant even tell youre towing anything.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Haha this is cracking me up. Its a valid point though, some people think nothing short of a tractor trailer can tow!

In all honesty, I have a jeep with the 3.7 and it tows very poorly. No low end torque, it struggles pretty bad. Slow accelerations, slow on the hills, horrible mpg, etc. If I was looking for something to tow at all I would skip on the 3.7. If you are close to the ramp and never plan on towing any distance at all you would be fine... Its just not a fun experience after Ive towed with a hemi and I know what its like to have a V8. You literally cant even tell youre towing anything.

Yeah my jeep wrangler unlimited with the 3.6 also struggles on Hills and big inclines. Luckily I had to buy a dodge 3500 dually for work and use it to tow my boat now. Don't even notice it behind me.