Is this a good enough to tow well?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking at a 2007 Dodge Dakota 3.7L V6 with the automatic and I plan to tow a 19' bowrider likely around 4000 lbs loaded down. Has anyone had experience with these trucks? Are they good trucks to tow with? I know little about these trucks but am looking into it more.

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd say no if your traveling any distances. Yes if it's a few miles to and from the ramp. It's max towing capacity is 4150 lbs. So your technically under, but that is way to close for me. I wouldn't want to go over 3/4 of the max towing. So 3100 lbs on that truck.

Cheers :thumb:

SkaterRace

I'd say no if your traveling any distances. Yes if it's a few miles to and from the ramp. It's max towing capacity is 4150 lbs. So your technically under, but that is way to close for me. I wouldn't want to go over 3/4 of the max towing. So 3100 lbs on that truck.

Cheers :thumb:
Where did you find the 4150 lbs? The source(below) I found said 4300lbs and I don't mind more risk in towing closer to the limit as I really don't want a full size truck for a daily driver and no storage space for a dedicated tow truck.

http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehic...+V6+Engine%5E4-Spd.+Automatic+VLP+42RLE+Trans

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where did you find the 4150 lbs? The source(below) I found said 4300lbs and I don't mind more risk in towing closer to the limit as I really don't want a full size truck for a daily driver and no storage space for a dedicated tow truck.

http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehic...+V6+Engine%5E4-Spd.+Automatic+VLP+42RLE+Trans

I Just did a quick search. It depends on the truck. Does the one your looking have the 3.55 gears, then your right. But could be as low as 3250 lbs with the 3.21 gears.

alldodge

Staff member
The missing piece with specified tow ratings. The rating is what it can tow with basic truck and nothing in the truck. So if you load the truck with stuff. this reduces the amount it can tow. Need to subtract anyone riding in the truck other then the driver as well. Also the boat weight is in most cases the dry weight, and before fuel, gear and anything else.

I think the Dakota is a fine truck, but don't see me towing a 4K boat with a V6, if it was a V8 sure.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
You counting the trailer weight? Fuel in tank(s)? 4000lbs seems a little light to me...

I tow my 17' CC with my 1993 Dakota with 3.9L v6--different model year styles I know, but I do also have all the towing bells and whistles: long wheelbase, 3.55 gears, posilock. Total load is 2800-3000lbs depending on gas level, ice, etc.

I would not tow anything any larger with my truck. Granted, I do not have trailer brakes...if you have trailer brakes and the other goodies, then maybe. And yeah, the v8 would definitely help, I ain't winning any races with the v6 while towing.

If it was me, and I was planning on towing any faster than 35-40mph (i.e., freeway), I'd get a full-sized truck with v8 to tow that boat.

SkaterRace

You counting the trailer weight? Fuel in tank(s)? 4000lbs seems a little light to me...

I tow my 17' CC with my 1993 Dakota with 3.9L v6--different model year styles I know, but I do also have all the towing bells and whistles: long wheelbase, 3.55 gears, posilock. Total load is 2800-3000lbs depending on gas level, ice, etc.

I would not tow anything any larger with my truck. Granted, I do not have trailer brakes...if you have trailer brakes and the other goodies, then maybe. And yeah, the v8 would definitely help, I ain't winning any races with the v6 while towing.

If it was me, and I was planning on towing any faster than 35-40mph (i.e., freeway), I'd get a full-sized truck with v8 to tow that boat.
That 4000 lbs is counting everything including fuel, gear, passengers, drinks, ect

As for needing a full sized truck for towing a 4000 lbs load.. I know the new Colorado can tow over 7000 lbs properly rigged. So to me it seems if I want to stay with a smaller truck I would need to look to newer trucks as I know the tow ratings have changed a lot over the past few years. Maybe a 2015 or so would work.... Guess I have some decisions to make...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The older toyota tacomas and Nissan frontiers can tow around 6000 LBS with a V6.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm sure it'll pull it just fine, ignoring the drive train and whether that is or isn't up to par, it is the stopping and emergency maneuvers at highway speeds that it will faulter if it is going to faulter. I've done the tow 4000+lbs with a v6 thing for a summer many years ago though the subject Dodge here is far more capable than what I towed with as I presume it is body on frame.

bigdee

Commander
I have to chuckle when I hear all the negative comments. You fit into that category so your fine. I have that same 3.7 in my Grand Cherokee and have zero problems towing similar loads. I don't have the tow package and the rear axle is 3.55. I assume you have trailer brakes....so the weight thing is a mute point. Even at that the weight difference between Dakota and full size is not that great. I have seen Dakotas at my ramp pulling tandem axle trailers without issue.

briangcc

Commander
From some of the other posts it appears you're set at towing at the very upper end of the tow ratings of vehicles. Can you do it? Technically yes. Can you accelerate or brake in an emergency? Probably not. You're going to have to plan your moves well in advance as you have very little reserve power on tap to handle emergency situations. Going up steep hills on roads leading to your launch ramp plan on dropping speed quickly. It's ultimately your choice but I wouldn't do it.

As I mentioned previously I towed my '05 Four Winns 200Le V8 (3600 lbs plus at least 1000 lb tandem trailer - figure 4600lbs min) with my wife's '16 GMC Acadia V6 AWD (5000lbs max towing) and it did it on highways. I hit one massive hill on the back roads and in Tow/Haul mode I started at the bottom at 60mph, by the time I reached the top I was at 40mph. It did it but I wouldn't do it repeatedly as I'd be breaking something in the drive train. Also, when towing on the highway at times it was the tail wagging the dog when I went over certain bumps. It was hairy.

​A thing about those Dakotas...they are very poor in the gas mileage department. I've had 3 throughout the years as loaners (1 V8 and 2 V6) and each and everyone of them was WORSE than my full sized Tundra with 5.7L V8. I don't know what it is but Dodge can't get their gas mileage squared away. And the V6's are garden slugs when not towing.

​IF you're sure of the weight, 4000lbs, I'd suggest looking at one of the new Nissan Pathfinders (6000lbs), Toyota Tacoma (6400lbs), GMC Canyon (7600 with turbo diesel), Dodge Durago (6200lbs). Give yourself some additional capability.

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get a weight distribution hitch. These will spread the load across your trucks entire frame. The more you tighten the chains, the more weight you off set. I towed a friends F-250 Diesel for 200 miles once with my 1500 Ram using one of these and my truck never squatted.

Also, in this particular case, your towing a boat. That's not a lot of load on the tongue compared to a camper or car hauler. Your engine would be the greater concerns. A decent grade uphill climb will have your pedal on the floorboard just to keep up with traffic.

For what it's worth, the PO of my 20' Sterndrive (tandem trailer) towed it for two years with a 3.7 Grand Cherokee.

bigdee

Commander
I would not trade for another vehicle unless I had to.......Hook it up to your Dakota and see for yourself and your question will be answered!!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I would not trade for another vehicle unless I had to.......Hook it up to your Dakota and see for yourself and your question will be answered!!

I believe the op is in the market for a tow vehicle. I do not believe he owns a Dakota now I think he's trying to get advice on this truck as a potential buy.

For what it's worth I towed lots of trailers with a 91 Dakota extended cab 4x4 v6 automatic. Some were probably over its max tow rating. It was a great truck, and I only got rid of it because after 15 years and a failing transmission I felt like I wanted a newer truck. In 2006 I traded it for a 2001 Ford F150 extended cab 4x4 with factory towing package. It has the 4.6litre V8 and is an automatic. Night and Day difference between the two trucks, and the V8 gets much better gas mileage.

It towes our 20ft Stratos bowrider with its V8 inboard/sterndrive setup plus all the gear plus fuel and 4 adults with ease. The Stratos rides on a tandem trailer with surge brakes which is a must for towing here in the mountains in my opinion.

Last edited:

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
I've towed a lot of small stuff and a little bit of big stuff. The question of the percentage of towing was raised, and that probably plays a bigger role in the answer than just about anything. I live in Washington and I might choose to boat in Puget Sound - but I have to traverse mountain passes with steep grades and 60 MPH zones to get there (150 miles away). I need something that tows the vehicle well without overheating the engine, transmission, or brakes. A pickup with one passenger can manage this with something close to a 5 liter engine and a tow package. Family of 6 in a SUV and camping gear on board? The bigger the engine the better.

Now... if we're talking a jaunt across the neighborhood to the nearest launch in Florida, I've seen 1/2 ton pickups drop 30 footers with twins in the water.

bigdee

Commander
I've towed a lot of small stuff and a little bit of big stuff. The question of the percentage of towing was raised, and that probably plays a bigger role in the answer than just about anything. I live in Washington and I might choose to boat in Puget Sound - but I have to traverse mountain passes with steep grades and 60 MPH zones to get there (150 miles away). I need something that tows the vehicle well without overheating the engine, transmission, or brakes. A pickup with one passenger can manage this with something close to a 5 liter engine and a tow package. Family of 6 in a SUV and camping gear on board? The bigger the engine the better.

Now... if we're talking a jaunt across the neighborhood to the nearest launch in Florida, I've seen 1/2 ton pickups drop 30 footers with twins in the water.

Thats a good point....OP has not stated where he plans to tow,terrain etc. IMO after pulling all types of farm and construction trailers I don't mind feeling the trailer behind me. I understand the physics and dynamics of the load.

SkaterRace

I don't own one, I am looking at that truck as an option to get because my current one won't let me tow the boat I plan to buy before June.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
My 1st thought would be No, not knowing where you live and boat. A P/U with a V8 or a SUV with a V8 and tow/haul mode would be a better choice.

bassman284

Commander
Well, this is iboats so if you're planning to tow 4,000 lbs you need a Ram 3500 dually, preferably with the Cummins diesel. Nothing less will suffice.