Trailer length

Rsb1970

Seaman
I have a 16 ft boat and need a new trailer. I found a used one and the guy said the trailer is 17ft total length. From front of tongue to back of trailer. Would this work for a 16 ft boat? Or would I need a 18 ft trailer?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It might work, depending on the boat and the setup of the trailer.
I personally like a longer trailer.
Gives you room to mount a spare tire, and a tongue jack/dolly.
It also allows you enough room to step over the tongue while it is connected to the tow vehicle.

Also, does you tow vehicle have a tailgate or a rear hatch? If so, a longer trailer will give you clearance to open the tailgate or hatch without hitting the winch post or boat.

My 18' boat sits perfectly on a 21' trailer.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Also... of the rear wheels of the tow vehicle go in a dip , bending the rig, you end up with the nose of the boat headed for the back of the tow vehicle... That can easily result in bent metal and broken glass if the trailer is too short.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My 0.02 cents. A longer trailer is always welcomed. I would certainly go longer then just a 'just fits" trailer. So many good reason way longer is better, JMHO

tpenfield

Staff member
Trailers are generally spec'd by the size of the boat that they will fit. However, if you are dealing with a direct measurement of the overall length of the trailer, then you should be looking for the boat length PLUS about 4 feet.

Alumarine

Captain
I would think if the bow was that close to the front of the trailer it would hit the rear of the tow vehicle on tight turns.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you ever backed around many trailers, you will easily understand why a longer tongue trailer is way better then a shorter one. And that isn't just my opinion either. Shorter length trailers have a tendency to make sharp angles quickly making it hard to control where the trailer goes. JMHO

Rsb1970

Seaman
Thanks everyone. So if my boat is 16 ft , I need a 19 or 20 ft trailer?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Properly set up, that would be a reasonable length. Swing Tongues are available to reduce storage length. The one on mine is right under the winch stand which is about as good as it can be set up

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
When I bought my trailer last year the dealer asked me about weight and the length of the boat from the bow Eye to the drain plug. Then sized it from there

bryanzzz

Seaman
I think Maranvin hit the nail on the head. Measure from you bow eye to drain plug...which is the bottom of your transom. With boat positioned on trailer it is very important the trailer bunkers stick out slightly from the transom. If they don't undue stress is put on transom. In theory without transom weight supported you could develop a term I have heard called a hook, basically the bottom of your boat is no longer flat, a hook in your hull will affect how it trims out or does not trim out, good luck.