Bleeding trailer surge brakes?

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A steel brake line snapped off which pretty well amazes me. We have recently went through the truck brakes so stopping was still easy. Won't be as easy with load.

Easy enough to get flared brake line from the auto parts store. The problem is that air will have been introduced into the system where the line snapped.

Easy to bleed brakes on a car with one guy helping. Not sure how to bleed the surge brakes on a trailer.

Shame.....the brakes were great before the line snapped.

alldodge

Staff member
That way works, or take you hitch ball out of the receiver and connect to the trailer. One guy pushes down on the hitch while the other cracks the bleeder. Works just like a car, except you need to lift the hitch back up by hand instead of the break peddle spring doing it

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a Motive Brake bleeder on my surge brakes. I hate those suction types.

Or you can do it the old fashioned way like Dodge said by operating the master cylinder at the coupler while someone operates the bleed screw at the brake. With some surge units, you can operate the break away lever to pump the master cylinder. You have to have the type that doesn't latch in the extended position.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What I did before speed bleeders:

drop the tongue to the ground (lower than the brake calipers). loop the two chains together and take a 2x4 against the actuator. my daughter or stepson moves the 2x4 back and forth actuating the brakes while I crack the bleeders as needed, topping off the fluid as needed.

what I do after speed bleeders:

drop the tongue to the ground (lower than the brake calipers). loop the two chains together and take a 2x4 against the actuator. crack beer and move 2x4 back and forth a few times, then tighten bleeder. top off fluid as needed

http://www.speedbleeder.com/ get the stainless ones

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Easy enough to get flared brake line from the auto parts store. The problem is that air will have been introduced into the system where the line snapped
I would suggest replacing with stainless brake lines or do what I am doing right now and just use a brake hose.

Thalasso

Commander
One person can bleed trailer brakes. Put a hose in a jar of brake fluid crack the bleeder and pump at the coupler. When no air bubbles are seen tighten the bleeder.

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would suggest replacing with stainless brake lines or do what I am doing right now and just use a brake hose.

Alright, suggest taken. How much might 6' of stainless costs? Steel is about $7 and has worked for 58 years. Never honestly heard of a steel brake line snapping, it had lost of free play. I'm sure it has happened many time before of course. So people buy stainless...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use 90/10 copper/nickle line for brakes on my trailer that gets dunked in brine

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
I launch in saltwater 20 25 times a yr. I'm quick to hose it off with lots of fresh water. Lights have been the biggest problem.

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I launch in saltwater 20 25 times a yr. I'm quick to hose it off with lots of fresh water. Lights have been the biggest problem.

It would seem impossible to maintain anything other than waterproof trailer lights. Water is bad, saltwater has to be impossible.