Trailor right turn signal only not working

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a brand new submersible led kit I installed and was working great. Then I had some issuse and found the failed wire and repaired. Everything works, brake lights, running lights, left turn signal. The only thing that does not work is the right turn signal. All wires check out fine. Any thought suggestions? Wierd that brake and run light works on right but not the turn signal ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Does the right turn single work on the vehicle? And if so, can you disconnect that wire at the light on the trailer and see if it has voltage on it during turn single?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Brake and turn signal share the same bulbs so if the brake is working, you have a vehicle issue.

Did your previous lights work? Does vehicle use separate brake and turn bulbs?

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I checked vehicle voltages at the connector and recall it was working but will have to check again. The right turn signal on the vehicle does blink. It really has me puzzled. The last issue I had was caused by a wire jumper I had made up from the connector ground to trailor and the copper center conductor would just frail and when stripping the insulator it would brake the wire so after replacing it, I was sure I got it and now this.. When I was working on this, the trailor was not hitched to truck but that should'nt matter right?

Kuntrykid

Cadet
I had the same issue. What make/model truck? I have a 2012 Denali HD duramax. I found a fuse under the hood for trailers. I think there are four total, including right hand turn signal. I have also heard (but not verified) the having the trailer not hooked up could prevent proper grounding.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It might help to get one of those testers that plug into the truck connector to pin the fault down to the tow vehicle or trailer. Does your TV have separate brake and signal lights with a converter?

5485.jpg

Many auto parts stores have similar testers and not expensive.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had the same issue. What make/model truck? I have a 2012 Denali HD duramax. I found a fuse under the hood for trailers. I think there are four total, including right hand turn signal. I have also heard (but not verified) the having the trailer not hooked up could prevent proper grounding.

That is true. I also have separate fuses for left turn, right turn, left brake, right brake and then for each of them for a trailer as well. So it is possible to have the vehicle lights working and not the trailer. It needs to be tested at the connector to the trailer first. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Does your TV have separate brake and signal lights with a converter?
Yes..I asked that before. Key question. If the brake light works and the turn signal doesn't, can easily be a converter issue.

Kuntrykid

Cadet
yes. I completely reworked my trailer and changed lights, again, before I found the fuse. I felt like a dummy. Lol

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes..I asked that before. Key question. If the brake light works and the turn signal doesn't, can easily be a converter issue.

Kinda repeated that cuz the OP didn't tell us yet.

Pistonseal - What is your tow vehicle?

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone for the replies.. I have not been able to find info if I have trailor light fuses in my 99 Toyota 4runner. I will have to take some voltage tests at the connector to see if I am getting them from the truck. If someone knows which fuse is for my trailer in my truck, let me know if I have one. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone for the replies.. I have not been able to find info if I have trailor light fuses in my 99 Toyota 4runner. I will have to take some voltage tests at the connector to see if I am getting them from the truck. If someone knows which fuse is for my trailer in my truck, let me know if I have one. Thanks

Don't know about your Toyota truck, but my Blazer has them under the hood inside a large fuse box on the driver's side of the engine compartment. JMHO

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. I got a chance to test it out and its a little strange. There is no fuse that I could find but there is a converter. Whats odd is that with the running lights on, the voltage fluctuates when doing a right turn signal. If I turn the running lights off, the right turn signal voltage does not fluctuate.. Very wierd Any thoughts?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The running lights don't really get controlled by the converter. Only the brake and turn signals. See what they are doing.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see that but it's odd that it senses the turn signal and the voltage fluctuates but only when the running lights are on..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Check the grounds of the converter.

How are you measuring exactly?

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am measuring between ground and the right turn line.. I even measured it right at the connector out of the converter.. Would it be a good idea to put in an inline fuse to help protect the converter and if so which line should I put it on?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I had a similar issue, this is all it took. The trailer did not have a good ground at the pivot point on the tilt trailer...therefore the lights did not have a good ground.
znmqt2.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What happens to the voltages when someone applies the brakes when the right turn signal is activated?