EZ Lube system.... keep blowing inner wheel bearing seal

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
EZ Lube system...keeps blowing the inner seal, starboard side, on my single axle trailer. Had my mechanic replace the inner seal about a month ago and after 4 trips, 600 miles total, it is leaking grease again. Any ideas what might be causing this??...Thanks

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Probably no air space so as it warms up it forces grease out the seal.
Mike

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
OK...thanks. The shop is closed till Monday and I will be getting back to him.

The weird thing is this is the 3rd time that seal has started leaking over the past 4 years. Port side has remained perfect.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You might want the Mech to look at the condition of the surface the seal rides on. It may be the spindle is pitted or grooved and any new seal will leak unless the surface is repaired.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If this is how the EZ Lube system works, it shouldn't be forcing grease out the back. Maybe the seals are being installed reversed?
EZ_Lube_Grease_6-2011.jpg

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
Yep, that's it...according to the mfg. it's impossible to blow the rear seal with a handheld grease gun. Incorrect seal or bad spindle surface makes sense. Thanks to all for your candid input, much appreciated. Will be seeing my mechanic on Monday to resolve the issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Couple of things I've learned with ez lube spindles over the years.

Not all hubs fit them. Some hubs are too short in the rear and the seal partially covers the rear hole in the axle. Hard to lube and blow rear grease seal

Measure the actual shaft diameter when replacing seals. I strugglled with rear seals problems on my front axle for years. It wasn't until I measured the shaft to order speedi-seals did the find out I've been using the wrong seal all these years.

The "standard" seal used on 1-1/8 x 1-1/16" shafts is 0.010 to 0.015" larger than the one required by my trailer. Ordered correct seal and the problem went away

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks dingbat, good stuff...will copy and print this page for my mechanic...he may learn a thing or two :)

bryanzzz

Seaman
As mentioned, you could have a problem with the spindle surface where grease seal rides. One of my old boats had the same problem from day one. I finally pulled hub and found a place where factory guy probably dropped axle and damaged the surface where the seal rides. Cleaned up best I could with emory cloth and put back together. Proper way to grease trailer bearings is to jack up wheel, let grease gun sit out in the sun for a while, pump grease 2-3 times, spin wheel, pump grease again until hub is full.