tire size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my shorelander trailer has 155/80/R13 tires that need replaced

all i can see on web sites is 175/80/R13 types, will these fit on my existing rim u think?

thx all.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a look at the wheels. Unless the rims are significantly narrower than the widest part of the old tires, the 175s should fit fine. If there is a size stamped into the wheels, you are looking for a minimum 4.5 inch width. Also check the fender clearance, the radius of the new tires will be 16 mm (5/8 inch) larger than the old ones.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok what i did was order wrong tires not size but type, but am starting to think will the tires work as the boat is not a monster in weight
one tire can almost take all the boats weight and engine combined.

the tires i got are truck tires but only ones i could find that fit correct size 155/80/R13

they are called evergreen EH22 will these work for us?

radial tire.

or should i send them back get other ones?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The numbers on a tire:

Sidewall height, ratio of height to footprint width, rim size.

155 80 13 ... 155 mm high sidewall, sidewall is 80% as tall as the tire is wide, 13 inch rim. (the R = radial)
175 80 13 ... 175 mm high sidewall.... the rest being the same, it fits the same rim, but is taller and wider so may have clearance issues as the springs flex allowing the tire and axle to move.

You really want truck tires on a truck, car tires on a car and trailer tires on a trailer. They act differently and are built differently. This is especially important in their load ratings and how the tire sidewall affects the trailer handling on the road.

You can get away with a lot more if you are hauling a light aluminum boat than if you are hauling a heavy fiberglass boat of the same length.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The numbers on a tire:

Sidewall height, ratio of height to footprint width, rim size.

155 80 13 ... 155 mm high sidewall, sidewall is 80% as tall as the tire is wide, 13 inch rim. (the R = radial)
175 80 13 ... 175 mm high sidewall.... the rest being the same, it fits the same rim, but is taller and wider so may have clearance issues as the springs flex allowing the tire and axle to move.

You really want truck tires on a truck, car tires on a car and trailer tires on a trailer. They act differently and are built differently. This is especially important in their load ratings and how the tire sidewall affects the trailer handling on the road.

You can get away with a lot more if you are hauling a light aluminum boat than if you are hauling a heavy fiberglass boat of the same length.
That is not correct. The first number is the tread width. The 80 is the aspect ratio in percent. You multiply by the aspect ratio 80% to get the sidewall height.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so the 175 tires will fit guys>?

or do i need to buy new rims as well?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
what width is your rim? Should be stamped on it somewhere.

If it's 4.5" to 5.5", it will be fine.

ezmac

Seaman Apprentice
The first number is not tread width but rather the widest part of the tire to the widest part of the tire. That is usually the sidewall bulge. That measurement is needed for figuring clearance issues.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
seems like a good deal these tires rims.

will this work for me guys? from 155/80/R13, my current rims are 5 lug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142332808881?ul_noapp=true

​I think they might work, but I'm no expert. I just bought the same wheels and tires to replace my old 6.50-13 tires. It was cheaper to buy the wheel, tire package than buying just new tires and finding out the old wheels might be too rusty to use..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The first number is not tread width but rather the widest part of the tire to the widest part of the tire. That is usually the sidewall bulge. That measurement is needed for figuring clearance issues.

No it is the tread width

Status
Not open for further replies.