Converting single axle to dual axle trailer

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted this at continuous wave and received a couple responses I would like to hear from a few more people to compare notes.

If I wished to add an axle to a trailer, should I just find the center of the existing axle, then using appropriate spacing move one axle forward half that distance and the other rearward the other half of the distance?

Or are there other things that I am not thinking of?

The trailer currently is towing nicely and the tongue weight is appropriate. I would be using torsion axles. I don't want one to carry more weight than the other. Am I over thinking this?

Bruce

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
tandem torsion axles aren't generally a good idea. Unless it is perfectly level, one will carry more. Walking beam leaf spring is better...

To answer your question though, you want to split the difference. Take your mount point today, and move +/- equal distance, and mount your axles there.

Maclin

Admiral
Just wondering why you want another axle. Is the capacity right now not adequate? What is current axle's rating, there may be a higher capacity axle available.

alldodge

Staff member
To follow along with Maclin's question of why;

Trailers are designed to carry a given load. This load takes into account the size of the channel and beams used to build the structure. So while adding another axle will allow the two axles to carry more load, the frame in most cases will not.

Just like a house of a single story dwelling, its not designed to add another floor above it. You can add another story, but you have to add support in other locations to do so

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gentlemen Here are some answers to your questions, The reason for wanting 2 axles is that I tow on some very bad roads ( golden road and telos road northern Maine) and I think it will improve the ride and add redundancy. If I did get a flat i would be able to limp to a safer area to change. I do not wish to add capacity to the trailer the axle there is a 3500# (going from memory) i would get 2 1750# to match the capacity. I may slightly "over spring" 2- 2000# but the trailer load will not change. Thanks for the replies and food for thought

Bruce

Maclin

Admiral
Ok, makes more sense with that extra info You are aware of trailer loading with the 2 new axles and how to avoid adding "bounce", good luck on your decision!