Minimum to tow a 19' bowrider

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Some of you may have seen my other postings about wanting a new 18-19' bowrider. I have been looking at the weights and figured out the numbers and I can tow it but I am pushing my limits, ie boat, trailer, gas, drinks, gear and 4 people (175 lbs each) put me within 250 lbs of my towing limit. While I normally would be more lightly loaded than this I rather not have a scary drive to the ramp a few times a year.

I am thinking I need at least 5000 lbs towing capacity, so that pushes me into a full size truck or a large SUV. I currently have a SUV that can tow 3500 lbs so any change will be greatly noticed by me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Durango, Grand Cherokee, Explorer, Xterra, 4Runner minimum.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I tow my 20 ft cuddy with GMC Sierra 1500.... think it's 7K limit... any full size truck will do... some mid's ok too

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
We had towed our Chap 18 foot bow rider with a Toyota Highlander. But it did struggle. Now we got a pickup so no problems anymore. .

robert graham

Admiral
Consider how far, how fast you need to tow....2 or 3 miles to the ramp and back a couple of times a year most any vehicle might handle it.....75 MPH on the interstate for several hundred miles you need some serious towing capacity for the vehicle's mechanical health and safety of you and family....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
throw the 1998-2004 S-10 blaser LS 4x4 in the mix. 5200# towing capacity and the Trailblazer at 6600#

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I tow my 20 foot BR with a 2010 jeep wrangler unlimited Sahara no problem.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Depending on what boat, a 19' bow rider with a full gas tank and trailer may approach or exceed 3500 lbs. not including passengers and equipment. You definitely need higher tow capacity. I'd look at 5000 lb minimum. There have been several suv's mentioned but if you want a truck you don't need a full size. Check out the Toyota Tacoma double cab with the V6. Tow capacity 6500+ lbs. seats 4 adults comfortably. Most dependable/reliable truck on the road. I have a Tacoma double cab 4x4 and it pulls my 3500 lb boat and trailer with 3 adult passengers and a bunch of equipment like there's nothing behind me. Bottom line look for something with at least 5000 tow capacity.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I think the key already mentioned is how far and how often. I tow a short distance (15 Miles and flat) my 21 ft bow rider with a highlander and it's fine, just need to make sure the trailer brakes work well. When I towed it 300 miles I borrowed my buddy's full size dodge.

airshot

Rear Admiral
throw the 1998-2004 S-10 blaser LS 4x4 in the mix. 5200# towing capacity and the Trailblazer at 6600#

Yep....I tow my 22' Islander 3500lb with my 2000 4.3 Chev Blazer S-10 with no issues, have been towing for 4 years. Roughly 20 miles each way to ramp, book says 4800lb tow capacity, has 4 wheel disc brakes.

briangcc

Commander
Kia Sorrento V6 AWD (5000), Nissan Pathfinder AWD (6000), Honda Pilot V6 AWD (5000), Chevy Traverse V6 AWD (5000).

Can you tell I've been doing some research?

FWIW: I towed my '05 Four Winns 200Le (19'6", V8) with my wife's 2016 GMC Acadia V6 AWD (rated 5000) and it struggled on steep hills. It was OK on highway or slight inclines but definitely didn't like back roads with steep hills. You knew it was back there!

**I normally tow with my '16 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 Crewnax TRD but I wanted to see what her vehicle would do.

Maclin

Admiral
We end up with 2 vehicles going out if more than me and one other. That way some who want to leave early or whatever can be accommodated. So if you do not have to haul ALL the people in the tow vehicle it may make just enough difference for you to stay within the margins of the vehicle you tow with now. Extra expense of taking more than one vehicle? Sure, but way less than new tow vehicle in most cases. Plus the flexibility I mentioned while you are out. Not everyone can hang all day, just sayin' :)

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
GMC increased the tow rating on the newer Colorado/Canyon midsize p/u's. Throw those in the mix. +1 on the Trailblazer/Envoy for that size load. Someone mentioned the Pilot. I didn't think it was rated for 5000#'s.

Rapio

Seaman
It seems to me there may be some confusion between vehicle tow allowable weight and the tow vehicle gross weight. Specifically rear axel allowable. 4 passengers @ 175 lbs, unless they are in the boat won't affect the towing limit, but they in the SUV plus trailer hitch weight and a couple six packs could exceed the rear axel gross limit.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
The thing is the op hasn't got the boat yet. He's considering a 18 to 19' bow rider. We don't know how much it will weigh but It likely will exceed his current tow capacity by it self and with passengers and equipment may exceed his gvwr. Bottom line he needs a vehicle with a tow capacity greater than 3500 lbs. and the next step up is generally around 5000 lbs. tow capacity. It doesn't matter if he tows the boat 5 miles or 500 miles he will more than likely need increased tow capacity and gvwr. What ever he decides to get he should be looking at 5000 or more tow capacity.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If he gets an outboard, even a 19 ft is considerably lighter. That plus the lighter trailer needed would probably keep him below the 3500 lb limit.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it were me, I'd be looking for an outboard and verifying that the boat and trailer are under ~2800 lb empty before buying to avoid needing to buy a new tow vehicle as well. I'm not a truck fan, and the 3500 to 5000 lb towing capacity step is where the feeling you get behind the wheel of an SUV goes from "jacked up station wagon" to "small truck". On the other hand, if you are OK with the truck feeling the higher towing capacity opens up more boat options.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The only things" how far and how often" matter for is engine and transmission... but that's the LEAST area of concern for a vehicle's tow rating...

Major concerns are steering, stability and brakes.
Get in an accident (regardless of who is at fault) when using a vehicle not rated for the tow and you are up the odoriferous creek without a paddle or even a canoe.

Doesn't matter that you'll void the vehicle warranty.

Go aluminum instead of fiberglass and you chop the hull weight tremendously.

thumpar

Admiral
I love my Yukon. Had a Suburban before. The Yukon makes backing easier and holds 8 just like the burb. I tow my heavy Crownline with 40 gallons of fuel and gear with no problem. One thing that really helps is tandem axles with brakes on both axles.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Depends on which boat...an 18 footer with a v6 can weigh 2200 lbs for a cheaper model or over 3000lbs with the same engine for upper level brands of the same loa. More expensive brands with the same engine could have a 20 gallon tank or a 35 gallon gas tank making a difference there as well. Twin axle or single axle trailer also adds to the weight.
You could have over a 1000lb difference just with the boat alone and several hundred for the trailer. Generally I'd be getting something body on frame.