Bow stop replacement, how do I fix this?

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, new member and first time boat owner... I need to fix the bow stop on the trailer that came with my boat, whatever bow stop is on there is falling apart and the bolt and washers have started to scratch into the bow, which I don't want going any further into it..

The only problem is, the bow stop that came with it looks nothing like the current ones available from the iboats store or any other store I've looked... the mount runs vertical rather than horizontal like most bow stop mounts I've seen on most boats.

My only Guess right now is that I'll have to build something custom to fit a new bow stopper or a roller on the current winch mount, any suggestions??

20170326_171503_zpsfexumwdo.jpg

20170326_171454_zpsodao5zfw.jpg

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hmmm, yeah I think so... can't see why as long as the bolts go through them... might need 3 on each end maybe if the bolt is too long.

thanks for the idea! :eek:

wrench 3

Commander
The end caps are the same material as rollers. Princess Auto also has the end caps in rubber. Maybe you could see what you think of them while your there.
I thought about wobble rollers but was worried about both sides being concave. Using a piece of pipe as a spacer could work OK.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ren - what's the distance between the stop bolt centers?

If the spacing is good, you could make 2 angles bolted to the arms and a regular winged bow stop. My attempt at stick drawing;

bowstop.PNG

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ren - what's the distance between the stop bolt centers?

If the spacing is good, you could make 2 angles bolted to the arms and a regular winged bow stop. My attempt at stick drawing;

will measure it up hopefully today... I thought about that as well, been looking at different brackets to try and reuse those mounts... also thought about using 2 of those mounts on each end of the brackets, but I think the bow would hit inside the brackets.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just buy a whole new bow stop assembly and be done with it--
http://boattrailerpartsplace.com/winch-post-assemblies/
^^ this place has winch post assemblies with or without the winch, starting under $100, not bad for plug'n'play..

that was going to be my next search on google... will definitely consider this if it's not too much to ship to Canada, or try and find one here for a little less.

Though if they ship fast, I could have it shipped to my father in law's in TX before he makes his way back north for the summer. hmmm...

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For some reason I thought the winch post was welded on... looking at the pictures closer (I'm not home, lol) it seems I can unbolt and put a new post on there.

My question is, how far forward can I move the post? I want to gain an extra foot to fit the boat in the garage, but I'm not sure if there's a (Canadian) law saying I have to have it at a certain distance from the vehicle.

Again, total boat and trailer noob, bear with me here, lol. :D

17792710_10155102781425350_634769697_n.jpg

wrench 3

Commander
There's no regulation for distance to the towing vehicle but if you move the boat forward it will increase the tong weight. So you may have to slide the trailer suspension ahead as well so as not to exceed the hitch or vehicle rating or to stop it from adversely effecting the handling.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the boat itself is pretty lightweight, tongue weight is close to nothing near max... I can lift the tongue to connect to the hitch with one hand, which leads me to believe it's barely pushing 150lbs on the tongue

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
I've had to alter (even make) boat trailers before. When it comes to the tongue weight, this is the best information I've seen in a short article: [LINK]

I would completely replace that poorly designed bow stop as Frantically Relaxing suggested, and I strongly suspect you have a lot of room to move the boat forward on the trailer. You are the only one that can ultimately answer the question of fitting it in the garage by sliding the boat forward without exceeding the tongue weight limits. The other solution (which I have used before) for fitting the boat in the garage is the Fulton folding trailer hitch. [LINK] Just make sure you measure the trailer tube and match the dimensions.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hey REN3G8.
If that set-up were mine I'd ditch the whole thing. The arm for the stops looks bent and the rusty winch has probably seen better days. I've been down this road on my 18' fish and ski. When I bought it the trailer was the last thing I paid attention too but I've spent more on it getting it squared away than anything else. A new winch post set-up shouldn't set you back that much given what you may spend in other areas. Just my not so humble opinion.
Good luck,

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
and I just did today... got lucky and someone messaged me yesterday through Kijiji (kinda like craigslist but better) as I had put a WTB ad for a post, they had a nice one from a trailer that was hit at the axle and written off along with the boat... paid a ton less than a new one would cost me in Canada, or having a decent one shipped from the US.

It also came with a swivel wheel stand, so was very happy as I almost bought one the other day, but someone beat me to it and was sold.

I was bent a little at the bow stop mount, but just banged it a bit with a mallet and loosened up the bolts on the top, had to replace the strap on it either way with the rope mine had, so removed that as well and it straightened up fine once I put it all back together.

So here's my project for the day, Tada! The old one was pretty thin and I noticed it was starting to rust and fall apart, glad I got this one to replace.

See ya!!

20170409_145250_zpsqugp4gqr.jpg

The end product

20170409_145238_zpsgidtztil.jpg

20170409_145307_zpsqt0dyhpl.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
All the new stuff looks, well, new. Almost brand new!

Nice find and better than trying to make the old one work again.