Trailer alignment?

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yesterday I had my 6x12 single 3500 lb axle flat trailer behind my truck in extreme slippery mud conditions for 10 miles. I had on a small load (500 lbs?). I noticed in the mirrors that the trailer tended to swing off track and out to the left to as much as 30 degrees off track. There was very little swing out to the right. Speed was about 40 mph. Any ideas/cures?
Thanks

wrench 3

Commander
If it was very slippery conditions it could just have been an uneven load. However if the tires aren't wearing and you just want to check the tracking. Measure from the hitch to each of the spring mounts on the axle. Both measurements should be the same. If not you will have to slide one side of the suspension assembly on the frame.

wrench 3

Commander
You could also have a bent axle.

That would wear tires. But it can be checked. Jack up both wheels off of the ground. Mark a spot at the front of each tire and measure across the front of the tires then rotate the tires half a turn and measure across the exact same spots that are now at the rear of the wheels. The measurements should be within 1/8" of each other.

Thalasso

Commander
Tracking to one side or the other is caused by axle misaligngment.Does the trailer track constantly to the left?
Have you ever been behind a tractor trailer and noticed the trailer not tracking straight. This is caused by rubbing curbs (hard)

30 degrees seems like an awful lot. Is this a new problem? Check to see if your trailer was hit or something. sometimes a bend can be hard to see. If its an ongoing problem and your tires are wearing evenly, Im at a loss.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
30 degrees seems like an awful lot. Is this a new problem? Check to see if your trailer was hit or something. sometimes a bend can be hard to see. If its an ongoing problem and your tires are wearing evenly, Im at a loss.

Yeah, 30* would put the rear of the trailer 4 to 5' out of place.