Bow hitting winch post when putting boat on trailer.

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I load my new to me boat the bow hits the winch roller and actually comes up underneath it. I then have to run the strap over the roller to pull the bow up and over the roller. Not sure if I should lower the post and slide it towards the stern of put a roller guide on the bottom of the trailer some how to keep it up high while loading. Here is a picture. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20160708_115957_zpsr7akiglv.jpg
    20160708_115957_zpsr7akiglv.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160708_115947_zpss3ery4bw.jpg
    20160708_115947_zpss3ery4bw.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 9

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Is the boat sitting flat on the bunks, or is the bow being lifted up by the strap in order to get the eye up under the roller?
Get the boat positioned where you want it on the bunks, then adjust the winch so that the roller sits right on top of the eye without tension on the strap.
That should put the roller a little lower on the bow, too.

Last edited:

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes the boat sits flat on the bunks. the "V" section of the front of the boat is narrower then the front of the bunks and that allows it ride low and go under the winch roller.

Maclin

Admiral
The stance in the pics look pretty good regarding the boweye fit under the bow roller, the angle of the winch strap and the general level-ality (copyright :lol: ) of the boat.. How deep do you go in with the trailer? Do you think not going in as deep would help?

I think one more cross-brace with a centering roller located fore-aft about a foot in front of the windshield base is being called for. The keel rolling along that would keep the bow up and centered nicely I would think.

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I back the trailer in so just the top of the fenders are sticking out. yes I was thinking about a keel roller. I guess I could fabricate something. Hoping to use the existing cross brace but its to far forward

Maclin

Admiral
Or two shorty bunks from the last current brace to the new one. That is how my 19 footer is, last brace up front located fore-aft just in front of windshield base and two shorter inner bunks run from there to the brace just aft.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I say dont back the trailer in that far, or back it in far or add a second set of bunks like Maclin suggests.

I agree, the trailer needs another crossmember and two small guide bunks and a keel roller.

Maclin

Admiral
Well, my shorties are on the outside aft but I think you can tell where the new brace should be. I bet just a centering roller would do it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My boat does that sometimes as well when I put the trailer in too deep. It's all about the angle of the trailer to the floating boat. When it happens I usually just leave the boat strapped and pull forward a bit until the angle is more favorable and then winch it the rest of the way up.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Add me to the "Your backing trailer too deep" club.

Normally tops of the fenders showing is about right, BUT if you are nosing under the bow roller, pull up a hair and see how that works. That would be much easier than modifying trailer. I am guessing your ramp is a little steeper than normal. (What ever normal is?)

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
You are backing the trailer in too deep. You have a winch on the trailer in order to winch it the last couple feet. If you boat floats up to the bow stop or almost floats up to it you are too deep. Try backing the trailer to the point where you have to crank it on the last 3 or 4 or so feet.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Agree, too deep.

Try just deep enough so that the top front corner of the bunk is still breaking the surface of the water, just so you can see the carpet sticking out of the water.

This should help on most all ramps.

Ramps that drop the tires into really deep (5') of water will require some flexibility, but those are rare.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe you are backing in too much but...

I'm with Maclin and others who say you need another crossmember, and either some shorty bunks or a keel roller. I don't think I've ever seen (or at least noticed) a trailer with so much "un-support" (also trademark!) for the forward half of the hull.

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have tried not baking in so far bUT the boat winches in really dry. I will probably try a keel roller