Tow Vehicle bouncing a little

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
boat + trailer + gas = 4200 lbs. My pilot is rated for 4500 lbs.

i screwed up on my post above - the drop is 2.25 inches, so according to the chart I have approx 250 lbs on the tongue

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you're 4200 trailered, you're nearly 200lbs light on tongue weight at 250lbs.

But you really need to use a typical tongue weight measurement not solely the droop of the Pliots suspension to figure it.

IF your suspension droop method is accurate, and the 4200 weight is accurate, you've got barely 6% tongue weight. 9-15% is ideal so you need between 378 and 630lbs.....

fishrdan

Admiral
so according to the chart I have approx 250 lbs on the tongue

Time for the bathroom scale to see what the tongue weight actually is. If needed use a 2x4 and a cuple of jackstands to split the weight so a bathroom scale can measure the weight, or 1/2 of the weight.

Does that Pilot have shocks or struts in the rear suspension? Struts will make modifying the rear suspension for the heavier load, much more difficult.

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 2012 ford f150 did the same thing, after all the info I got all I needed to do was put truck's tire up to the max air pressure, on tire not in manual, and no more bouncing. auto manufacturers like to keep pressure a little low for a softer ride and tire manufacturers know what the tire can handle.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Manufactures use less pressure, depending on the weight of the vehicle, for proper tire wear. Trucks are built for towing, better than SUVs. Adjusting the air pressure may help. Guessing 50# max, if even.... If you put more weight on the tongue, you'll need to beef up the rear suspension. May need to anyway.... Quick and easy way would be air bags.....

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Does that Pilot have shocks or struts in the rear suspension? Struts will make modifying the rear suspension for the heavier load, much more difficult.
Pilots have rear shocks. They do make air bag leveling kits for them.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
thanks guys - i'll look at the air bags or spring-over shocks - looks like it should be a easy swap. I will also get my scale from work and see if the 250 lbs is accurate.

is there any way to get more weight on the tongue if i need to ?

also I wondered would a single axle trailer help me with tongue weight ? this big heavy tandem is over-kill for my needs - i don't go more than 2 hours when boating - most of the time it's just 15 minutes.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Length of travel time has nothing to do with how big a trailer you need. Most single axle trailers will probably have a 3,500 pound axle which wouldn't be enough for a boat and trailer weight of 4,200 pounds. Tandem axle trailers pull a lot nicer anyway.
It's very difficult to get much tongue weight on a boat trailer since all the weight of a boat is in the very back. I towed a 20' boat on a tandem trailer at about 4,500 pounds for many years with about 200 pounds of tongue weight. I towed with 1/2 ton SUV and pickup as well as duallys. I never had any sway or bounce issue.
I suspect you have P tires on your tow vehicle when you should have LT. You probably at least need more air in your tires.
How much weight are you already carrying in the tow vehicle? People, pets, coolers, gear, etc. all add up and reduce the payload of the vehicle. With the additional tongue weight you may simply be overloading the vehicle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Wow...no way I would be pull8ng a 4500 pound load with a 200 tongue weight

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Time for the bathroom scale to see what the tongue weight actually is. If needed use a 2x4 and a cuple of jackstands to split the weight so a bathroom scale can measure the weight, or 1/2 of the weight.

OK - so the drop method was a bust - i got a scale and it weighed it several times - I'm getting approx 390 lbs tongue weight

so to summarize

boat + trailer + gas = 4200 lbs
tongue weight = 390 lbs

so I guess that seems more appropriate

FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
just updating an old thread. I got rid of most of the bounce by

Raising the hitch up 1.25"
Installing stiffer rear shocks (KYB)

gonna ride out this Pilot one more summer and then we are getting a Durango or F150 !

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
just updating an old thread. I got rid of most of the bounce by

Raising the hitch up 1.25"
Installing stiffer rear shocks (KYB)

gonna ride out this Pilot one more summer and then we are getting a Durango or F150 !

Good idea.
You are pushing that tow vehicle to it's limits.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Try moving the boat forward. IIRC tongue weight is supposed to be 10-15% of total weight.

ahicks

Captain
Something that occurred to me, wondering if the boat is securely attached at the bow stop/winch stand? If not, that trailer is free to flex quite a bit - which could easily bounce the heck out of the tow vehicle..

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Try moving the boat forward. IIRC tongue weight is supposed to be 10-15% of total weight.

the trailer is fixed unfortunately - but I do have about 9% on the tongue

Something that occurred to me, wondering if the boat is securely attached at the bow stop/winch stand? If not, that trailer is free to flex quite a bit - which could easily bounce the heck out of the tow vehicle..

the bow eye is tightly against the top roller - appears to be solid.