TeeNee Trailer Weight?

patriciaJ

Recruit
I'm trying to determine the weight of a 1965 TeeNee 1300D trailer single axle. It's a perfect fit for a 17 foot runabout- but couldn't handle anything longer.
Thanks-

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Find some public scales, unhitch the trailer, set the trailer and tongue on the scale to get the trailer weight.
Mike

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the trailer is empty, "borrow" the wife's bathroom scale. Each wheel + tongue = weight.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I'll Guess,... 400lbs,...

patriciaJ

Recruit
I need a good guesstimate on the weight of the empty trailer - which I don't possess (yet). Right now the boat I'm interested in purchasing is on the trailer. The boat is a fiberglass (MFG) - and like most MFGs of that era it had foam installed between the fiberglass stringers- if the foam gets soaked it will never dry out, and will easily add $200# in weight. I'm not interested in buying a waterlogged boat - owner will weigh boat/trailer at a public CAT scale. I know the weight of the boat- Just trying to get a fair sense of the weight of the trailer.

Any teenee trailer owners out there? Thanks!

Fed

Commander
Credit to unknown poster.
You can weigh the boat with a regular household scale using simple math and physics.

1. First put the scale under the tongue with the boat pulled all the way up on the trailer. For me the scale read 150lbs so W1=150

2. scoot the boat back on the trailer EXACTLY 10" so 10=X

3. reweight the tongue. For me it was 100lbs so W2=100

4. measure the distance in inches from the axle to the tip of the tongue. For me it was 180". so 180=C

5. Plug all 4 of your numbers into the equation. C(W1-W2)/X

Mine looked like this... 180(150-100)/10

6. do the equation
a. first you subtract 100 from 150 which = 50
b. then you multiply 50 by 180 which= 9000
c. finally you divide 9000 by 10 which = 900

So my boat weighs 900 lbs. It will only take you about 5-10 minutes to do.
Too easy.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I need a good guesstimate on the weight of the empty trailer - which I don't possess (yet). Right now the boat I'm interested in purchasing is on the trailer. The boat is a fiberglass (MFG) - and like most MFGs of that era it had foam installed between the fiberglass stringers- if the foam gets soaked it will never dry out, and will easily add $200# in weight. I'm not interested in buying a waterlogged boat - owner will weigh boat/trailer at a public CAT scale. I know the weight of the boat- Just trying to get a fair sense of the weight of the trailer.

Any teenee trailer owners out there? Thanks!

Yup. But my TeeNee literature doesn't go back that far.

I'm guessing that the model number indicates trailer capacity. My 1984 catalog shows 1200 and 1500 single axle models, and their weights are 285 and 340, respectively.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class
Credit to unknown poster.

You can weigh the boat with a regular household scale using simple math and physics. ...

Too easy.

Except for the "scoot the boat back" part. Even with a roller trailer there will be a lot of friction. You will likely need to jack up the hull and move the trailer forward, or find a fixed object to attach the boat to while pulling the trailer forward with a vehicle. I would do that part first, as getting the boat back on the trailer using the winch is much easier, and can be done without needing to move the scale . Also, don't bother with the exactly 10 inches part - the further you move the boat, the more accurate this method is. Try to get the tongue weight close to zero, take weight and position measurements, then winch the boat back and take new weight and position measurements.

Just did this myself, and getting just over 2200 lb for a 16 foot outboard has me thinking about the possibility of wet foam too. :(