Bearing

I have a Tennessee Trailer and the tire on one side has grease slung all around the inside of the rim. Think the bearing is bad? Also, the bearing buddy is full of grease.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sounds more like the seal is bad. Mine did the same thing. Put new seals in and no more grease leaks. Also don't overfill the bearing buddies as it can push grease out past the seals. You only need enough grease to just have a little tension on the beading buddies.

Well thanks! I have not lifted the trailer to see what kinda noise the wheel is making. I'll do that this weekend and take it off and inspect the hubs. Maybe just replace the seals while i'm at it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well thanks! I have not lifted the trailer to see what kinda noise the wheel is making. I'll do that this weekend and take it off and inspect the hubs. Maybe just replace the seals while i'm at it.

OconeeCherokee, when applying grease to a bearing buddy setup, the moment the bearing buddy piston starts to move outward, you stop filling it. That is all it takes. Too many people think they have to fill the entire bearing buddy up for it to do it's job. But that is how rear seals blow out. JMHO

Fed

Commander
Bearing Buddies are designed to work with the hub completely full of grease.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hub gets completely filled with grease and then the Buddy Bearing is pumped until the piston just begins to move. All the people that give it a pump of grease every time they use their trailer are the same ones that blow out their rear seals.

Once the hub is full and the Buddy bearing gets grease added until the piston moves, you should never have to add grease again.

That is straight forward information y'all. Thanks. Just bought this rig and the boat are trailer are both gems but I think the previous owner was the type to hit it with grease every trip. The last trailer bearings I messed with on my jon boat trailer were pressed. After much effort I just went to northern tool and bought the hubs and bearings. To replace/maintain this new trailer I have, I just pull the old seals out and repack right?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
.....To replace/maintain this new trailer I have, I just pull the old seals out and repack right?

....and that assumes those bearings you're repacking are not burnt or scored and first cleaned really good.

The trailer does not have breaks to check while doing the other work?

Mark