3x3 tongue repair

Kdreese89

Seaman Apprentice
I boat a used boat w/ trailer. Today I noticed the 3x3 beam was bent slightly to the boats starboard. Then I noticed a very crappy weld just behind the jack. I want the 3x3 tube replaced. Has anyone had a repair like this done at a shop? If so how much did it cost you? And it's a steel trailer.

I know a great welder but they don't have a welder. So I am trying to see if I should buy a welder and have him do it probably for free or very cheap or have a shop do it.

Thanks.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Over all the shop would be less expensive then buying a welder. If you have the desire to learn to weld then buy a welder. Watch your friend closely then practice and perfect a new skill.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Over all the shop would be less expensive then buying a welder. If you have the desire to learn to weld then buy a welder. Watch your friend closely then practice and perfect a new skill.

Nearly anyone can weld.....welding well is an entirely different subject. It would probably be cheaper to pay someone to properly repair the tongue on your trailer. It would be an excellent opportunity to extend the tongue length and or add a folding tongue onto your trailer. If you want to purchase a welder, check for used at local pawn shop...have seen nearly new rigs for less than 1/2 price.

Kdreese89

Seaman Apprentice
I appreciate he insight. I am very intimate with quality welding and how to evaluate welders. I guess I was more or less asking what a good price would be? I am not a fan of a foldable tongue (weaker) and If it was just a weld I would try but I don't want to weld on something that is under the constant road stress like the trailer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I appreciate he insight. I am very intimate with quality welding and how to evaluate welders. I guess I was more or less asking what a good price would be? I am not a fan of a foldable tongue (weaker) and If it was just a weld I would try but I don't want to weld on something that is under the constant road stress like the trailer.

Not knowing where you live or what is available to you in your area, I would search out a metal shop that sells raw materials and buy a new tongue as your replacement. It isn't as costly as you may think. And then you could buy a nice MIG welder and learn to weld to accomplish this project. That too isn't as hard as you may think. However, if you are really picky about this project, and prefer a competent welder to do it, then take it to a shop for the work to be done. But just off the top of my head, you are probably looking at a few hundred dollars for the repair/replacement. And that is because everything has to by cut off and welded back on the new tongue again. JMHO

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was not impressed with folding tongues, however the trailer I purchased has one and it is absolutely rock solid. I do not have to use it as a space saver, but I have more peace of mind knowing I have yet one more security measure with it folded back and chained and locked.

Kdreese89

Seaman Apprentice
I'll have to put my eyes on some before I do the repair and see. I didn't even think of the security part.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to use your own MIG welder, you pretty much have to use a 220V MIG welder to do this job. A 110V welder won't cut it.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll have to put my eyes on some before I do the repair and see. I didn't even think of the security part.

Mine on my trailer is made by Swing Away, the company that also makes tongue jacks. It bolts to both pieces of the tongue and has a strong hinge and large diameter pull pin.