Electric Brakes

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the process of purchasing another boat. The trailer has three sets of electric brakes. I have never purchased electric trailer brakes. What are the pros and cons of electric brakes over hydraulic?

alldodge

Staff member
Comparing standard electric with standard surge (hydraulic) brakes

Surge
Nothing needed in the tow vehicle to control brakes
Weight of trailer moving against ball applies brakes
No adjusting how much brakes are applied
Cannot apply breaks from inside tow
Need free backing shoes, master cylinder solenoid, or lock out to back trailer up a hill
Cable attached to tow is pulled and locks breaks during break away
Hydraulic lines will last a long time, and in most cases are best for salt water exposure

Electric
Need controller in tow vehicle to control brakes
Amount of breaking is fully adjustable
Can apply breaks from inside tow
Nothing needed extra to back trailer up hill
Need break away switch and battery on trailer to stop trailer if trailer brakes away from tow
Electric magnets and connections in most cases have issues with salt water exposure

There is also electric over hydraulic breaking which puts the advantage of tow adjustable breaking, and the power of hydraulics

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the comparison. Is there anything I can do to help save the electric brakes because this new boat will be used in salt water on a weekly basis.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the comparison. Is there anything I can do to help save the electric brakes because this new boat will be used in salt water on a weekly basis.

Flush them with fresh water. The good thing about electric breaks, is the electro magnets are easy to replace if they go bad. Not to pricey either

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am in the process of purchasing another boat. The trailer has three sets of electric brakes. I have never purchased electric trailer brakes. What are the pros and cons of electric brakes over hydraulic?
It doesn't matter how they are actuated (electric or hydraulic) or how much you flush them, drum brakes and saltwater don't mix for long.

Kodiak disc brakes are the only way to go in saltwater. If money isn't an issue, I would recommend going with an electric over hydraulic actuator to get the best of both worlds

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Kodiak disc brakes are the only way to go in saltwater. If money isn't an issue, I would recommend going with an electric over hydraulic actuator to get the best of both worlds
That's what I have and I agree it's the best way to go. I think the OP already has electric brakes so he is just asking about what he has.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
DId this boat come from a freshwater area? Does it actually have electric over hydraulic brakes instead of regular electric drum brakes? Because if the boat was going to be used in salt water, I can't imagine anyone putting 3 sets of electric drum brakes on a boat being used that way. They will just not last, standard electric brakes backing plates and shoes are not galvanized and will have a very short life in salt water if you are launching weekly. If you are in an area with hills, and do high speed towing electric hydraulic disc brakes (preferably stainless steel for salt water use) are the best set up. If you tow at low speeds and on flat roads, then surge brakes can work well and are cheaper. But even with disc brakes, if they are not stainless steel including the rotors, you will have significant corrosion issues with this frequent use in salt water.