Trailer bearings stuck. Help?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hope you don't have a dual axle trailer with 4 sets, Lance.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed that Northern Tool sells axles with spindle pre-welded. Has anyone tried them on a boat trailer?

GA_Boater

Put an NT axle and hubs on mine about 4 years ago and it's working great. Much straighter than the pretzel I took off and tires last a lot longer too.

Do you have straight or drop axle. It looks like a straight axle in some of the pics.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Put an NT axle and hubs on mine about 4 years ago and it's working great. Much straighter than the pretzel I took off and tires last a lot longer too.

Do you have straight or drop axle. It looks like a straight axle in some of the pics.

It has a small drop, about 3-inches

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Correction- it is a straight axle with no drop, just a welded spring bracket below springs.

GA_Boater

Measure the length from spindle end to end, the distance between spring perch centers, check the trailer weight rating or current axle rating and go to NT.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
If I buy the axle I'm going past the point of no return on this project cost-wise. I'm just not sure how much more money to put into this boat before I throw in the towel.

It's a not-so-classic 1973 which once functional has at most 2-3 seasons left in it (without even more major overhaul)

This is why I am preferring elbow grease over spending money...

GA_Boater

As long as you can get the other hub off and the spindle is OK. If not, that's when you need to decide.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
As long as you can get the other hub off and the spindle is OK. If not, that's when you need to decide.

Yep. I'm 1-day into this new problem so I'll give it a bit more time before I decide.

Its nice to be able to discuss these things with my boating brothers who know how this feels. Sadly the wife has little patience or appreciation for these challenges.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
I should go to Vegas right now. Just got the castle nut off and no thread damage. Bearings came out and dont see any spindle damage other than a lot of rust.

So, $15 worth of bearing kit and some grease and I'll be in business.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
I probably just jinxed something...

So in case someone else has this problem here is what I did:

Bearings were pushing outward and jamming the castle nut and the wheel wouldn't turn at all by hand. So I packed the spindle with grease then hooked trailer to truck and rolled it back and forth about 10 times to loosen up the bearings.

Then I cleaned out the grease again and started working on the nut. Still wouldn't budge so I soaked it in WD-40 Penetrating. I took the wheel off, put a bucket under and sprayed thoroughly and kept it wet for about an hour.

Then I took a 1-1/2" socket and my air wrench and worked on it "gently" for 20 minutes, spraying more when it got stuck..and it finally came off.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Use emery cloth to clean up the bearing surfaces then decide if the axle is savable.

Yeah someone suggested that on the first stuck hub. I cleaned up the spindle a bit and there was pitting in the middle but it looks like its clean around seal and bearing seats.

Will clean more tomorrow and see if my luck holds up.

GA_Boater

I have winning lottery tickets for sale, but you used up all your luck on those hubs. LOL

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
The spindle is mostly in good shape - I say mostly because there is a lot of pitting and a bad gouge near the outside bearing seat but it looks like It wont affect the bearings so the axle is salvaged for now.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep. I'm 1-day into this new problem so I'll give it a bit more time before I decide.

Its nice to be able to discuss these things with my boating brothers who know how this feels. Sadly the wife has little patience or appreciation for these challenges.

Impatient wife.....no comment!!!!
Well, NM, all us married men have one of those, don't we???