Trailer bearings stuck. Help?

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
I recently inherited a fixer upper boat and discovered that the bearing race are stuck. The bearings were sscreaching when pulled and the grease contained a lot of rust. I removed the nut, pin, and washer but even when pulling on thw whole wheel it wont budge. Ive tried banging on the race with a hammer and punch but cant get any movement. Also tried WD-40 and Brake Cleaner to try and loosen the rust. Any ideas?

COguy15

Cadet
No Title

You are going to want a bearing puller. Can either rent one from an auto parts shop, or buy a cheap one at harbor freight.

Attachments

• photo260413.JPG
    photo260413.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just take care to try not to damage the spindle. If the hub and race can be pulled off without damaging it you can sand it to remove surface rust, then just replace the hub and bearings, almost as good as new without buying an entire axle.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Hard to diagnose without pictures. Does the trailer have brakes? Drum brakes could certainly cause what you're experiencing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Use a dremel tool and a cut off wheel and make a slice almost through the race but without hitting the spindle. Then use a chisel and break the race apart.

wrench 3

Commander
Use a dremel tool and a cut off wheel and make a slice almost through the race but without hitting the spindle. Then use a chisel and break the race apart.

Not just in respect to your post, but the way I read the original post he hasn't got the hub off yet.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
You are going to want a bearing puller. Can either rent one from an auto parts shop, or buy a cheap one at harbor freight.

I bought a puller at HF but not quite sure if it is too large or if I just dont know how to use it. Does it fit around the bearings or around the hub? Their smallest one wouldnt fit in between the spindle and hub.

I'll try to post photos soon, but this site said the files were too large earlier when I tried.

Also to answer another question, the trailer is a single axle with no brakes.

COguy15

Cadet
I bought a puller at HF but not quite sure if it is too large or if I just dont know how to use it. Does it fit around the bearings or around the hub? Their smallest one wouldnt fit in between the spindle and hub.

I'll try to post photos soon, but this site said the files were too large earlier when I tried.

Also to answer another question, the trailer is a single axle with no brakes.

Sorry, looks like I misunderstood your problem.

If the entire hub is stuck, you are going to want a hub puller, which is quite a bit bigger than a bearing puller and bolts up to your hub for leverage.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would try to spray the spindle and inner race area with a penetrating fluid, PB Blaster etc. (Not WD-40) Then remove the tire and wheel. At that point you should be able to either use a puller or small sledge and hit the back of the hub. Try hitting the hub from different areas, front, rear, top, bottom. If this does not do it, then place puller on hub and apply tension. If it don pop right off, give it some jarring blows on the center bolt of the puller and the hub as well. Many times this vibration will cause the rusty seal to break loose. Best of luck!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would first remove the tire and wheel assembly and then use the hub/wheel puller to force the hub off the spindle. But it looks a little confusing being how I don't see any threaded spindle in the pictures as well as a dust cover, cotter pin, castle nut and washer either. Not sure what you have there. :noidea:

dwco5051

Commander
It appears that the outer bearing inner race ground down the end of you spindle from the first picture. Can you ger any movement at all?

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
You need one of these if you can find one. axle puller.jpg You may need to find a repair shop that's been around since the sixties.
They were originally designed to pull the rear hub off of the old dodges with a tapered axle shaft. However they are extremely universes, very strong and if you didn't have a good impact gun you could rotate the puller bolt with a hammer.
If you could acquire an oxy-acetylene torch and heat the inner race of that outer bearing it would help immensely.

wrench 3

Commander
Apparently OTC still makes that puller under part #7394 but they run $110.00 USD and up.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check with an auto parts store, they should have an equivalent in the loan a tools. Use it and take it back.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
OEM 27037 should do the job.

Autozone has this listed as one of their loaner tools. Free rental for $25 deposit - You get all the money back on returning the tool.

Other AP stores may also carry the same or similar tool in their loaner program.