Do I Need brakes on my boat trailer?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Makes sense regarding weight gain.

Apparently trailer never ever had breaks - not even a backing plate on it...maybe laws have changed over the years and differ between states and provinces.

bigdee

Commander
Depends on your state laws. In my state brakes are required above 3500#. I have not seen many single axle trailers around here with brakes....in fact I think I've only seen one!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Our state requires brakes at over 1500# so of course every trailer has them.

When I was looking for my pontoon boat, every single axle trailer had them, even ones from out of state like Arizona that had the 3000# limit.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Around here, in Ontario - most boat trailers for boats 18ft and under, have no brakes...the legal max for no brakes is 3,000lbs, but what's weird is that the trailer in question was sold as a matching trailer to the boat when new, even with the same name and colour...and together they weigh in at 3,050lbs so weird the manufacturer didn't have to add brakes.

In contrast, when it comes to pop up tent trailers, most are under 2,000lbs in dry weight - yet most do come with brakes!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The reason why you will see so many boat trailers that should have brakes; but don't; is because of corrosion and seizing up of brakes esp in salt water regions.the guys at my boat yard where I get my bottom paint done every year say that mine is one of the very few trailers on which everything actually works! Most salt water trailers here don't have working brakes unless the owner instslled stainless steel discs.

bigdee

Commander
In contrast, when it comes to pop up tent trailers, most are under 2,000lbs in dry weight - yet most do come with brakes!

Yup, most of them (campers) do have brakes. Boat trailers sold around here don't unless tandem axles. Since submersion creates havoc nobody wants them....over 3500# state say must have.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Around here, in Ontario - most boat trailers for boats 18ft and under, have no brakes...the legal max for no brakes is 3,000lbs, but what's weird is that the trailer in question was sold as a matching trailer to the boat when new, even with the same name and colour...and together they weigh in at 3,050lbs so weird the manufacturer didn't have to add brakes.
Please tell me you are going to add brakes to the trailer if you are planning on towing it with that Hyudai. The fact that this thread is still going makes me think you aren't going to do it which would be a foolish move.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Please tell me you are going to add brakes to the trailer if you are planning on towing it with that Hyudai. The fact that this thread is still going makes me think you aren't going to do it which would be a foolish move.

Haha - this thread was winding down but then a new point came up worth mentioning (don't remember what it was)...but you can relax, there's no way I'd be towing that close to the limit without full electric brakes. Some say electric will corode too fast in the water but two points on that: a) it's freshwater around here, not saltwater; b) if electric wiring for lights can survive, no reason why the same can't hold true for brake wiring.

bigdee

Commander

Yes, very important. The vehicle should be sized for the load and for the majority of boat owners it is. You may want to consider trading up. Electric brakes are not 100% reliable unless religiously maintained.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Wanted to let everyone know that I went with the trailer electric brake installation and towing was a complete breeze on the highway. 2hr drive, 200kms, sixth gear most of the way, revving only at about 2100 RPMs at 110kms/hr (65mph). 2016 Santa Fe Sport with 2.0T AWD. SUV weighs around 4,000lbs, boat and trailer around 3,000. Tongue weight was perfect, with back of vehicle dropping only about 1/2 inch when loaded. The "Little Korean Car" towed as well as anything - but admittedly, the electric brakes made a huge difference. I know because there was an enormous difference in stopping performance once I fine-tuned the brakes properly...something that's not possible with surge brakes. That said, with an F150, no trailer brakes at all would be needed. Also, launching down the sandy ramp was also a breeze. Pulling it out was easy too. Just engaged for 4x4 lock and it was like there was nothing hocked up to it! Zero wheel spin, etc. Think the adjustable electric trailer brakes helps. A huge thanks to everyone who chimed in with all your thoughts and advice - this is a great forum!

Attachments

• photo266305.jpg
    photo266305.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266306.jpg
    photo266306.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266307.jpg
    photo266307.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Glad it worked out for you! I don't agree, for the sake of others who might read this, that brakes wouldn't be needed with a 3000 lb. boat behind an F150. For normal traffic, you are correct, but if a kid on a bike darts in front of you, you'd want the extra stopping power.