Adding brakes to second axle

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Juat a few concerns, firstly my dual axle trailer currently has hydraulic surge brakes on the rear axle only, front axle does have the backing plate, so the actual addition is simple, my questions are about what kind add and associated what ifs...
1, if i go with hydraulic, will the master cylinder on the tongue move enough fluid to activate all 4 brakes, or woul i have to change it too?
2, if i go with electric, do the two systems work well together?

I am in florida and have recently found out that with weigjt of my boat, both axles are required to have brakes...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Darren

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The master cylinder you have will be fine.

If you go electric, you have to remove all of the current surge equipment and bolt the coupler into place or change out the coupler.

If staying hydraulic, consider switching to Kodiak disk brakes. That's what I did. You would have to modify your current surge brake coupler to remove a valve but that is easy.

alldodge

Staff member
If you go disk, need either a block off or block off solenoid valve, otherwise you won't be able to backup the trailer without the brakes locking.

If you go electric, need a breakaway switch and battery installed on the trailer

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Are your current brakes drum or disk? Fresh or salt water? I boat entirely in salt and added a second d set of kodiks all stainless to my trailer about ten years ago. ( only had brake and on one axle.). Pricey but I love them. The second set not only removes the grey area of legality it stops way better under heavy braking when you care about stufff like that .

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are your current brakes drum or disk? Fresh or salt water? I boat entirely in salt and added a second d set of kodiks all stainless to my trailer about ten years ago. ( only had brake and on one axle.). Pricey but I love them. The second set not only removes the grey area of legality it stops way better under heavy braking when you care about stufff like that .

Existing are drums, i would love to upgrade to discs, will certainly be looking into that option! It will be both salt and freshwater (hopefully anyways, if i ever finish my transom)