Use of 4?4 low range on dry concrete ramps

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I appreciate everyone trying to help here, but I don't think I'm wording my question very clearly. My original question was , is it hard on the drive components to use 4lo to pull a boat straight up a concrete ramp for a short distance. I am satisfied with the answers I got from that question.
My question now is, in my auto transmission, when I shift into 4lo , it dramatically increases the low end torque. Does a manual transmission also do this?
PS. My quest for a smaller truck has nothing to do with towing the boat, and the one I really like just happens to have a manual transmission

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
4 Low is 4 low, manual or automatic it operates under the same principals.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
4 Low is 4 low, manual or automatic it operates under the same principals.

Thanks ondarvr .
Sprig, my current truck is a 2001 F-150 V8. My reason for downsizing is I hardly ever have the need for a full size pickup with a V8 so my wife and I decided to sell this and get something newer, in better condition, with a smaller engine

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have the exact same truck, 87,000 on it, had 84,000 on it 6 years ago when I bought it, mostly used by my daughter when camping or when hers is in the shop.

​I'd sell it, but it's in good condition and if it's not driven much the MPG doesn't mean much.

​Don't expect to improve mileage much, if any, with a stick, those days are about done, and smaller doesn't mean much better either.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Totally agree with ondavr....
Why would you not use the low range ?
Having just gotten rid of my old faithful LR discovery 3, I really miss her ability to effortlessly pull countless different boats up a greasy wooden slipway.
Was a simple case of selecting low range and letting the clutch out. No throttle needed at all. What a machine she was. From current 1.4 ton to previous 3.5 ton....nothing was a problem.
Different story now with the BMW 530d !!!

bigdee

Commander
Not hard on drive train at all. 4L is there if you need it,thats all....Look around and see how many 2wd trucks are pulling similar loads. On a manual tranny 4L would be an advantage because it would reduce strain on the clutch. Auto? no advantage.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
On a manual tranny 4L would be an advantage because it would reduce strain on the clutch. Auto? no advantage.

​The same principal applies to an automatic, all components up stream of the transfer case will see less stress when it's in 4 low, all components down stream of the transfer case may see more stress if the system is pushed to its limits.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
​The same principal applies to an automatic, all components up stream of the transfer case will see less stress when it's in 4 low, all components down stream of the transfer case may see more stress if the system is pushed to its limits.

I was referring to his particular case 3500# load with a 6500# capacity truck. Should be a cake walk.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
After all the back and forth here's my thoughts - 1) if you absolutely positively must want to use 4wd low to pull your boat up a dry concrete ramp do so, it won't harm anything. 2) second thought is Your truck has plenty of power to pull your boat up a ramp in 2wd. It is not a strain for your truck or its components, it's designed and built to tow your boat up a ramp, over mountains or where ever within reason in 2wd. Just put it in D and go. It is the simplest and easiest way to get your boat up the ramp. Thousands of people everyday pull their boats up ramps in 2wd, some with less powerful trucks and heavier boats. 3) A manual/stick shift will accomplish nothing, zero, nada as far getting your boat up the ramp smoothly and with less strain. Actually you may have a little less stress and strain on the drive train as the torque converter on an auto smoothes things out. My 2 cents worth just put it in D 2wd and step on the gas.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
After all the back and forth here's my thoughts - 1) if you absolutely positively must want to use 4wd low to pull your boat up a dry concrete ramp do so, it won't harm anything. 2) second thought is Your truck has plenty of power to pull your boat up a ramp in 2wd. It is not a strain for your truck or its components, it's designed and built to tow your boat up a ramp, over mountains or where ever within reason in 2wd. Just put it in D and go. It is the simplest and easiest way to get your boat up the ramp. Thousands of people everyday pull their boats up ramps in 2wd, some with less powerful trucks and heavier boats. 3) A manual/stick shift will accomplish nothing, zero, nada as far getting your boat up the ramp smoothly and with less strain. Actually you may have a little less stress and strain on the drive train as the torque converter on an auto smoothes things out. My 2 cents worth just put it in D 2wd and step on the gas.
+++++1

oldjeep

Admiral
My .02 - guess it depend on your ramp. At my ramp, you would have to get it out of 4wd before the boat was completely out of the water because you are making a 90 degree turn to go up the access road. In many years of launching boats, I wished once that I had 4wd on a sand covered ramp so that I didn't have to turn off traction control and light up the tires to get it out. The concrete ramps are no issue pulling out a 6K boat/trailer package in 2wd

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My only reason for wanting to use 4 low is it has so much more low end torque and will pull it out without hardly giving it much gas at all, but in 2 hi I really have to get on it... But from what you guys are saying, it probably won't hurt the truck either way, right?

Didn't read thru all the posts, but if this is the case I would use 4 low. Just don't turn and put a strain on your front end.... When you get off the ramp put it 2 wheel. Why work the motor hard if you don't have to.............

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My '02 F-250 has manual locking hubs. Allows me to use low range with only the rears locked, which I do occasionally. However, our ramps are pretty slippery so I almost always lock up and hit 4 low. It DOES help with 7 to10 thousand pound boats. Been doing it since the truck was new, hasn't hurt a thing.

Just my opinion, but a truck that can't handle a couple hundred feet of hard in 4L ain't much of a truck... ;)

ho1ywars

Cadet
i pull the 4wd fuse in my k1500 in the summer for the boat ramp. That way I have use low and whip around the parking lot without having to worry about the extra strain on the drivetrain. If I needed 4wd at the ramp I can always just pop the fuse back in.

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used to have a manual transmission 4 door Wrangler I used to tow my Ski Nautique. I used 4 low to get up ramps as it was way easier on my clutch. My tires were wet from retrieval so it wasn't that hard on the drivetrain. That being said, when I upgraded to a newer Wrangler, I got an auto just because the stick shift was a minor pain at the ramp and a massive pain backing my trailer up my driveway. I still use 4 low out of habit with the auto but I don't think I really need to. I'm personally much happier towing with the auto.

Clayton s

Cadet
I feel your pain on pulling the boat up the ramp in 4 low i do the same thing. The ramp i use is fairly steep and pulling a pontoon cause of its size makes it easier on every thing i believe. Usually i spin allot coming up the ramp, it's concrete and has groves for water to keep it from being so slick.

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
I ran into this the other day. Pea gravel built up at the water's edge, and I wasn't going to get out of it without 4X4... or a shovel. I used 4 Low to ease out until I was clear, then I shifted back to 2 High. I also back into an incredibly steep maze of a driveway with a 7,500 pound boat and trailer. Since a lot of turning is involved, I modified my truck so that the front hubs won't lock if I so I choose, then I can go into "2 Low" to be a little more subtle with my movements in a tight space.

josh_booth

Seaman
As a mechanic I can tell you using 4lo and damaging your truck all depends on you and the conditions. Yes, you will gain more torque to the wheels AND better throttle control. It will also be easier on your torque converter and transmission. The downside is it IS NOT meant to be used on hard, dry surfaces. Any amount of steering will put stress on everything from your transfer case to the front tires. Ball joints, CV shafts, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, control arms, front hubs.... everything. It's not my truck so I won't say what you should do, but if you feel the need to use 4lo to get up the ramp or like the finer control by all means use it. Just do your truck a favor and as soon as you are at the top of the ramp get it out of 4wd before you do any steering.