Use of 4?4 low range on dry concrete ramps

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not trying to open a can of worms here, but what are your thoughts on using 4?4 low range for pulling a boat up a dry concrete ramp 100 feet or so? Will it damage the drive components in such a short distance? Even though my truck will pull it out in 2WD if I "get on it", it does it much easier in 4 low. So my question, is it better to strain the engine and transmission doing it in 2WD, or put it in 4WD low range and just walk out with it?

alldodge

Staff member
Another opinion
I would never use low range on pavement unless needed. Just to much load on the drive train. Use 4x4 high range. If you feel the need to use low range, never turn the wheel, keep it straight

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Pulling straight up the ramp will have no negative effect on the truck, don't go driving around the parking lot though.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't matter if its low range or high range if you are in 4WD as long as you go perfectly straight.

No need to use 4WD at all unless your rear wheels are spinning.

Alumarine

Captain
4wd lo will be just fine.
And you can turn slightly with it no problem. As ondarvr says, don't be doing donuts in the parking lot.
I've used it many times on steep ramps for the same reason.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your tires will slip before you break something

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Not a problem... At slow speeds your tires can scrub off any differences in rotation.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don't see the reason for using 4x4 as long as your truck pulls the boat up the ramp. It won't hurt you truck using 4wd in the circumstances you describe but just give it the gas in 2wd and go. But if you want to use low range 4wd then do so.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
My only reason for wanting to use 4 low is it has so much more low end torque and will pull it out without hardly giving it much gas at all, but in 2 hi I really have to get on it... But from what you guys are saying, it probably won't hurt the truck either way, right?

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Low range won't hurt anything. Probably over kill, but won't hurt anything :)

bigdee

Commander
If you have a automatic tranny high range should be ok......torque converter will take care of driveline.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
We don't know what vehicle you have, but on many 4x4s it's good to put it in 4 and 4 low occasionally to keep everything working correctly.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
We don't know what vehicle you have, but on many 4x4s it's good to put it in 4 and 4 low occasionally to keep everything working correctly

+1 to that. I'll use 4L w/SeaRay on a steep ramp. With the Carlson just leave it in 2H. I never make a hard turn on pavement in either 4H or 4L, you can feel the drive binding up which can't be good for it.

I've also heard with an Auto to put it in "1", as the transmission uses more clutches so it's better for it. Not sure if that's true or not. I always do that to give myself a warm fuzzy that I'm putting less strain and wear/tear on the transmission.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK so does anyone have experience in pulling a boat up a ramp with a manual transmission? My boat, fully loaded, weighs about 3500-3800 pounds and my current truck has an auto transmission with a tow capacity of 6500 pounds. Long story short, I'm considering selling it and buying one with a manual transmission and a tow capacity of 4000 pounds. I only have 10 miles of flat country roads to the ramp so I'm not too worried about that, and have no plans of getting a bigger boat, if anything I would downsize, but was a little concerned about pulling it up the ramp but thought if a manual transmission in 4 low has a lot more low end torque than if it was in 2 hi, it may not be a problem. I have plenty of experience driving manual transmission pickups and semi's, but have never driven one in 4 low so I wasn't sure how it works. Thoughts?

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I should've probably added that info in the original post, but first wanted an opinion on using 4lo on a concrete ramp:)

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Your not going to gain anything by going to a manual. I love stick shifts, have driven them all my life but there is no advantage for getting your boat up and down a launch ramp with a manual tranny. It's actually much easier with an auto trans. I don't know why your truck struggles so much pulling your boat up the ramp. I have a Toyota Tacoma v6 4x4. My boat weighs close to 4000lbs. No problem going up long or steep ramps in 2wd. I can just about idle up the ramps. You will gain nothing by going to a truck with a lower tow capacity whether manual or auto trans. What truck and engine do you have? Unless you have a 4 cylinder you just shouldn't have any problem towing your boat up launch ramps in 2wd or your engine needs some serious work.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand a manual won't pull it up the ramp easier than an auto and that isn't my reason for looking at one. Also I wouldn't say my current truck has a "problem" doing it in 2 hi, it just does it a lot easier in 4 lo , which is why I was asking if that also applies to a manual transmission.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Manual by itself makes no difference, it won't make it easier to pull it up the ramp. It will depend on the engine, the gearing in the manual tranny and the rear end gears. Out of curiosity what truck, engine and Year do you have?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
My first tow vehicle was a manual. Never again for me & I wouldn't recommend one over an automatic for towing.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Some people love manuals, not sure why, maybe it's a macho thing, I've owned many, still have one, but would much rather drive an automatic. Unless you have 4 low a manual can be tough to pull a boat up a ramp with, they tend to have very high first gears now.