Let's Talk Truck Bed Covers

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I need a cover for the bed of my 2014 Silverado 2500HD. I've had Undercover one-piece hard tonneau covers on two previous Silverados and want try something different. My mission for the cover is to keep dry and out of view what I have in the bed. What cover do you have and what do you like or dislike about it?

One that I'm considering is the Extang Encore hard tri-fold. A downside to the Encore I see is the brackets the cover rests on attach to the bed rails and stick into the bed about two inches on each side. The Undercover tonneaus I had previously attached straight to the bed rails with no protruding bracket. If you have a cover with a similar bracket that your cover rides on, how does it affect things when you want take the cover off and fill the bed with a load of bulk mulch or some topsoil for yard projects? Do you remove the brackets before using the bed for such?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I just bought a Tyger tri-fold off Amazon for my '14 Silverado 1500 double cab. I am VERY pleased with it for the price.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i have a tonneau pro tri-fold. got it back in 2013 when i bought my truck and holding up well. there is a small 'bulge' on the front hinge just from bulkiness and the stitching right on that spot ripped right after i got it but it hasn't got any worse since then so i'm good with it

MRS

Commander
2013 Quad Cab Ram Bakflip G2 cover great cause when tailgate is locked cover is locked. Plus if I need topsoil or sand I do use a trailer all covers are a pain to get dirt or gravel out of the bed. Firewood and big stuff no problem because you can fold the cover up to open up the bed.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
depending on your space needs nothing is better than the Pace Edwards electric. PITA to get on but once on it is durable, good looking as all get out and easy to use as pushing a button!

oldjeep

Admiral
I've got a bak flip on my Ram, first one was replaced under warranty and the current one is leaking with panels delaminating after about five years. It has been a pretty decent cover but my next one will be a diamondback. The bak flip is secure if you do t know how they work, otherwise it is simple to trip the release even with a locked tailgate.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve got an aluminum framed soft tri fold on my Silverado. I like it. Easy to fold back or remove when I need to. The only drawback is security, as you could cut through it if you wanted too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Friend at work has a BAK. It's the model that is aluminum. Likes it a lot and would buy another one. A friend who bought a new Ford is also buying a BAK.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I prefer the soft tops that roll up. Real happy with the Access cover on my 2004 GMC. Had it on the truck for 13 years come this April.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I also prefer soft tonneau covers that roll up. My F250 has one where the supports roll up in the cover. The edges seal with Velcro. Easy to roll up when it's time to make use of that bed. Hard covers are just not an option for me.

MRS

Commander
The bak flip is secure if you do t know how they work, otherwise it is simple to trip the release even with a locked tailgate.

If somebody really wants in your truck bed it does not matter what you have on. Had a friend that owned a junk yard and would let me use the hoist to work on my own truck on Sundays when they where closed. Plus let me pull what ever I needed, that is when I learned how you can get in to anything you need to get into just saying...;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If somebody really wants in your truck bed it does not matter what you have on. Had a friend that owned a junk yard and would let me use the hoist to work on my own truck on Sundays when they where closed. Plus let me pull what ever I needed, that is when I learned how you can get in to anything you need to get into just saying...;)
Yeah i learned that as a kid when i asked a family freind why he didn't lock his convertible. He'd rather lose a stereo than a canvas