tubes in tire

bigdee

Commander
I have some 4.80x12 tubeless tires that are a real PITA to seal the beads. The local tire shops won't touch them. I have a tire changer and thought about putting tubes in them.....has anyone done this? I am pretty sure they are bias/cross ply.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Done it before. I say go for it. Rim will be rusty when you replace tire in future. At that point replace the whole rim and tire

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I only use tubes in non-highway use tires. But I have used tubes in lawn mower and such before with good results. I just don't like tubes for highway speeds. But that is just me. JMHO

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
In the "old days" putting a tube in a tubeless tire that wouldn't seal was common practice. I do not recall hearing of any real problems doing that.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
"Seal the beads" - Leaking after the tire is inflated or getting the tire to pop onto the bead?

If it's the first, clean rust off the rim so it's smooth and some paint for rust control. If it still leaks, go with tubes. I don't know if it's marketing or not, but there are radial and bias tubes. Don't know if you have put tubes in before, but the first inflation is done without the tire valve in the stem. Fill the tube until the tire somewhat over inflated, let all the air out, put the valve in and inflate to the correct pressure. This will get rid of wrinkles which will kill the tube in no time.

For the second, smaller tire sidewalls are pretty stiff. I use plenty of lube and a tightened ratchet strap on the tread to force the bead against the rim.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Clean where the bead meets the wheel lip and use a bead sealer. Should do the trick. AL rims leak all the time around the bead on vehicles. The shop just uses bead sealer...........

bigdee

Commander
"Seal the beads" - Leaking after the tire is inflated or getting the tire to pop onto the bead?

If it's the first, clean rust off the rim so it's smooth and some paint for rust control. If it still leaks, go with tubes. I don't know if it's marketing or not, but there are radial and bias tubes. Don't know if you have put tubes in before, but the first inflation is done without the tire valve in the stem. Fill the tube until the tire somewhat over inflated, let all the air out, put the valve in and inflate to the correct pressure. This will get rid of wrinkles which will kill the tube in no time.

For the second, smaller tire sidewalls are pretty stiff. I use plenty of lube and a tightened ratchet strap on the tread to force the bead against the rim.

Thanks. Yes, at my age I was around long before tubeless. I have changed many a tubed tire!. Tire shop told me NEW 4.80x12 tires are almost impossible to seat. That is my problem....tried every trick in the book,bead blaster ratchet strap, bicycle inner tube all to no avail. That little tire is very narrow and stiff when new. I have no problem with the used ones. So I will get some tubes.....I guess after I run them awhile I could take the tube out and try again mounting them tubeless.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes you can bounce the tire and rim to start the bead/rim seating.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
X's2 on the starting fluid, I use a click start propane torch, Pop it with my fist. Works every time.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Tubes in tubeless tires will mean no more slow leaks when you pick up a nail, they will now be instant flats, known as blowouts.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've seen youtube videos of Imbeciles using that when mounting tires on wheels that are way too wide for the tire

​It's used often when you're out in the bush and need to get it back on the rim. Not something I'm 100% on board with though.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
​It's used often when you're out in the bush and need to get it back on the rim. Not something I'm 100% on board with though.

I can see doing that in the boonies, but not what those buffoons on Youtube were doing

bigdee

Commander
I have used the starter fluid trick on lawn tractor tires and it worked. It did not work on the stiff little 4.80 tire. Tire shop guy said to buy tire and rim already mounted, he said he would like to see how the Chinese seats them. I already have the tire so I would like to use it. I will go with the tube.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tire shops that do skid steer tires have an air tank they fill then blow it all into the tire by opening a ball valve to blow it into the tire between the rim and bead.

bigdee

Commander
Tire shops that do skid steer tires have an air tank they fill then blow it all into the tire by opening a ball valve to blow it into the tire between the rim and bead.

I tried a bead blaster tank to no no avail. It works great on bigger tires.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Forget about tubes, especially for highway use. Clean the rim, then use a heat gun to warm the tire to get it flexible. Sounds like the tire shops in your area are lazy or incompetent, most likely both.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Please remember that a tubeless tire was designed to run at a certain temperature, when you add a tube you are increasing the temperature of the tire and may exceed what the tire was designed to operate at.