Weight distribution / replacing bunkboards

petertay

Seaman Apprentice
The boat is a 16-foot Larson: deep-V from the late sixties, 85HP motor. The trailer has two rollers in the center on which the boat sits. Also has three feet of bunk rollers under each side of the hull. When we pull out of the water, due to wind or current, the hull sometimes hits the rollers, and it is getting pretty scratched up.

I want to pull off all the rollers and just have carpeted bunkboards on each side. All the boat trailers parked at the ramp seem to have just the bunkboards. SO MY QUESTION IS: Does it need the center rollers to carry the weight, or will the boat sit okay on just the boards with no solid rollers under the V. In that case, the whole weight will be pressing in on the sides. Thanks! --Peter

alldodge

Staff member
A bunk trailer should have center rollers if the keel of the hull may come in contact with the cross frame when being loaded. The rollers are different then the ones used to support the keel, they are still strong enough support the load while loading or off loading. Once the boat is resting on the bunks, the keel is not touching the rollers

Here is my old trailer and note the rollers, I installed

Photo924.jpg

Now if the keel bunks are positioned close enough so the boats keel will not touch, then they are not needed.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Some bunks trailers have a pad versus a roller to keep the trailer cross members from damaging the keel of the boat when loading/unloading. That might be another option

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would definitely set up the trailer with bunks longer than the old 3' side roller bunks. With a bunk trailer for your size boat you at least need the rear cross member roller when loading/launching.