Is this a fair trade?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a new PWC last year and with it, a new triton single place trailer. Well, I just bought a second machine so I need a two place.

I can trade in my single place for a new double place plus about 1200 bucks (might be a little less).

I have a friend with the opposite problem. He has a 2015 Karavan painted steel two place but needs a single place.

I can trade my single for his double....even trade, but it's a steel trailer.

Would you trade or spend the money on a two place?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That $1200 difference between your traded single and a new double seems really high. I can't imagine a new double costs much more than $1200. Is it aluminum or something?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
down here even galvanized PWC trailers die after about 5 years. painted steel about 2 years, and aluminum about 10 years.

if its a good deal to you, then do it. I would look around.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a friend with the opposite problem. He has a 2015 Karavan painted steel two place but needs a single place.

I can trade my single for his double....even trade, but it's a steel trailer.

Your in fresh water, and an even trade, go for it, so long as it is heavy enough to handle both PWC's

As for the extra $1200 for the new, I wouldn't do it

WaterDR

The 1200 difference is trading in an alum for an alum trailer. The single retails at 1250. The double at 2,000

Normal market price is about 1000 for single and 1800 for double. They will give me 800 on trade and charge me 1800. So looks like it would be 1,000 and not 1200

alldodge

Staff member
Your still in fresh water, don't really need aluminum if you take care of it

WaterDR

The steel trailer btw is designed for two machines. It's a branded seadoo trailer made by Karavan. It's called a Seadoo Move I believe

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
How far do ya trailer? What's bearing replacement cost? If fresh water bfd on aluminum. less outta pocket means more mods.

WaterDR

Your still in fresh water, don't really need aluminum if you take care of it

In regards to that, what do you recommend? Looks like the alum trailer will pretty much be a 15 year or more trailer. Not sure on steel.

I have called three places....I am at a net of 1000 or so for a triton lite and 1200 on s triton elite. The elite has stainless hardware, torsion axle and a few other upgrades.

My last PWC trailer was 13 years old. When I sold it, it was in new condition still. I sold it with an 2004 yamaha SUV so it was a custom size.

alldodge

Staff member
My recommendation is trade yours for the double, at the minimum, at the most ask for 100 or 200 cash in the trade. As you said, you last one wasn't an aluminum and it lasted for as long as you needed it and then some. I have a double PWC Karavan and probably the same as the one your looking at. Its a 2000 model, sits outside and while the decals are peeling off, the rest of it is just fine

WaterDR

My recommendation is trade yours for the double, at the minimum, at the most ask for 100 or 200 cash in the trade. As you said, you last one wasn't an aluminum and it lasted for as long as you needed it and then some. I have a double PWC Karavan and probably the same as the one your looking at. Its a 2000 model, sits outside and while the decals are peeling off, the rest of it is just fine

That's great to know! Thanks. I won't be able to get get cash from the guy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I'm in Wisconsin, just 2 hours from you. Dad and I have both had painted trailers that lasted over 40 years.
My utility trailer is painted, and just turned 30.

The only thing that really hurt our painted trailers was running them on many hundreds of miles of Canadian gravel roads.
Still, they are sound, just have a bit of rust.

Karavan makes some good stuff.
Parts are available as the factory is here in Wisconsin.

Go for the trade and you will have one less thing to worry about come springtime.

WaterDR

I'm in Wisconsin, just 2 hours from you. Dad and I have both had painted trailers that lasted over 40 years.
My utility trailer is painted, and just turned 30.

The only thing that really hurt our painted trailers was running them on many hundreds of miles of Canadian gravel roads.
Still, they are sound, just have a bit of rust.

Karavan makes some good stuff.
Parts are available as the factory is here in Wisconsin.

Go for the trade and you will have one less thing to worry about come springtime.

You know, as I think about this, you are exactly right. Just about every trailer around here is steel. The only alum trailers I ever see are small ones most likely because big trailers are expensive made in alum. Or boats that have been brought up from the south. My pontoon trailer is steel....the pontoon trailer before that was steel too.

I think a lot of sled trailers might be aluminum because of the road salt.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I don't own PWC and don't know how truly "universal" the trailers are, or how hard they are to adjust; but here's one thought: if you buy from the dealer, you should be able to get them to set it up just right for you.

Again, is that an important consideration? For a PWC I dunno. For a boat, HECK yes IMO.

WaterDR

I don't own PWC and don't know how truly "universal" the trailers are, or how hard they are to adjust; but here's one thought: if you buy from the dealer, you should be able to get them to set it up just right for you.

Again, is that an important consideration? For a PWC I dunno. For a boat, HECK yes IMO.

Good point....could be.

In my case, I am going to have the dealer load the trailer for me anyway....which means moving machines around and making adjustments.

I suspect they will charge me. I'll ask.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Interesting...I'm in MN and have one PWC and will be looking to get a second by spring. I almost never, ever see a steel pwc trailer. Always aluminum.
Generally, I avoid painted, steel trailers wherever possible if possible but then again there are far fewer two place pwc trailers out there in the used market to select from. I would do the trade but wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred in cash.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I think a lot of sled trailers might be aluminum because of the road salt.

You got it. I'm a MN resident and wouldn't own anything but aluminum when your talking snowmobile trailers due to towing on salty winter roads. For a boat trailer I'd rather have a painted steel because they look better than aluminum and will last indefinitely with freshwater use. What's the cost "new" for each trailer? I suspect a double painted steel costs more than a singe aluminum so I'd take the trade.