Brake back plate question

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
I'm restoring an old Starcraft Chieftain and have been working on the trailer. Converting from the old 8' wheels to 13" and replacing the drums with disc brakes. I disassembled one side and mounted the caliper plate on the existing backer plate, mounted the new disc hub and that's where I ran into an issue. I have to space the caliper out 5/16" to get it to line up with the disc. Was there a change in standard measurements between 1974 and now? I have fabricated spacers (etrailer recommended using washers stacked up.... REALLY?). Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You mounted the disk brake mounting plate to the outside of the flange on the axle right? Want to post a picture?

I went out and measured the distance between the outside of the brake mounting flange on the axle to the inside of the disk and I get approx 5/8". Not sure what brand calipers you have but the calipers should float so there should be a little leeway there.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here's a pic with the washers in place,

Attachments

• photo258267.jpg
    photo258267.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Very possible that the old axle you have has a different brake flange offset than newer axles. Just make sure that as your pads wear, there is enough room for the caliper to slide enough.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did the instructions specify to mount the caliper on top of the axle?
You will most likely have trouble trying to bleed the calipers.
Don't know where your bleeder screw is on the caliper.