Rollers too slick?

AusMongrel

Cadet
Hey all,

So recently I changed out all my rollers and put Stainless spindles - all greased etc - and the boat now runs on and off so smoothly it's crazy! BUT... that's the problem, it's too slick which is making load and unloading a problem.

For example, it's really hard to launch as we can't get the winch strap off as the boat is already rolling and putting tension on the strap. The only way we managed was to get the boat running in forward to take the pressure off the strap. Otherwise we have to let boat roll all the way in with the winch strap attached and then wind it all in.

THEN - Getting it back on is a similar issue. If I drive the boat on, I have to keep it on in forward or it just slides back off, and we end up having to winch the entire length of the trailer.

What am I missing??

Cheers
John

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Attach a launch line to the bow eye.
Wrap the line around the winch post (or mount a cleat to the winch post), to hold the boat in place.
Then release and remove the winch strap and safety chain.
Now let the launch line go and the boat will roll off the trailer.

For loading, yes, leave the motor in gear while someone attaches the winch hook to the boat.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
12 volt winch on the trailer... problem solved.

Your rollers are working like they are supposed to.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, trailer is working as it should. The roller trailers are real handy for places which do not allow for driving it on, they are wrenched on and off using the full length. Their down fall is as you observed.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Go with the bowline in a pinch. My previous boat and roller trailer after 8 years was getting to the point of being difficult to push off but getting it on never really changed. It used to be like yours in the beginning. You are just dealing with nice, new equipment.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe I missed it, how big /what kind of boat are we talking about here?

AusMongrel

Cadet
Thanks Guys,

The boat is an 18.5ft SeaRay 185 Sport.

Thanks for the tips. I guess it's something I will have to get use to. Loading or unloading by myself is going to be a challenge, but I can work with that.

Much happier to have the boat just slide nicely off the rollers.

I was surprised to see how many people back their boat down the ramp with the straps and chain off, just so they can hit the brakes at the end and let the boat slide off. If I tried that, the boat would be off half way down the ramp! CRAZY!!

My chain is on to the water, and back on from the water. :)

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I have an EZ Loader wobble roller trailer and load and unload my 20' boat myself. I did not grease my roller axles because they use plastic bushings between the rubber roller and the axle plus I figured the grease won't last. I'm guessing after enough launches your rollers will get a little "stickier". The rollers do make loading very easy. I leave the outdrive in gear while I reach over the bow and hook it. Just remember to put the drive up some......made that mistake already.....:censored:

AusMongrel

Cadet
Yeah I did that just last week - and now will have to send my flash new Stainless prop off to repair. :(

Live and learn!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing like bunks and good ole power load with transom exhaust on a big block ford. Wakes those ole farts up in the marina (no offense) real nice Clark!!!! I've witnessed the boat on the ramp because of an ez loader trailer more like an ez boat wrecker trailer I'll jus stick with good ole bunks. I load and unload by myself 22' liberator.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a roller trailer that had a walk board from the jackstand to the first axle. With my power winch, When launching, I would I would let it free wheel out just keeping enough drag on the knob until the boat got to the end of the trailer. Unhook the boat and leave the hook hanging on the axle. When i`d retrieve, I would walk the boat from the dock up to the trailer, Then walk down the trailer walkboard hook up the boat, go back to the winch and bring her up. Easy.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
Last boat was 18' had a bunk trailer. So easy by myself. Occasionally I'd have someone with me and I'd just hand them a line to hold. If someone helped me it would mess my system up. Now I have a 23' with a roller trailer. Needed to be a roller cause the ramp I use primarily isn't very steep. High tide is the worst. Exhaust would be submerged even the front tire would be 3/4 in the water when I launched. I still launch by myself but is a little harder with the rollers for some of the above mentioned reasons.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was surprised to see how many people back their boat down the ramp with the straps and chain off, just so they can hit the brakes at the end and let the boat slide off. If I tried that, the boat would be off half way down the ramp! CRAZY

Seen lots of boats on roller trailers launch before they get to the water. The owner rarely does that again

bassman284

Commander
Hey all,

So recently I changed out all my rollers and put Stainless spindles - all greased etc - and the boat now runs on and off so smoothly it's crazy! BUT... that's the problem, it's too slick which is making load and unloading a problem.

For example, it's really hard to launch as we can't get the winch strap off as the boat is already rolling and putting tension on the strap. The only way we managed was to get the boat running in forward to take the pressure off the strap. Otherwise we have to let boat roll all the way in with the winch strap attached and then wind it all in.

THEN - Getting it back on is a similar issue. If I drive the boat on, I have to keep it on in forward or it just slides back off, and we end up having to winch the entire length of the trailer.

What am I missing??

Cheers
John
Well, you're not missing much. That's the way they work.

I bought my current boat with a roller trailer in 2001. I told the salesman I wasn't familiar with a roller trailer so he took me for a boat ride. When you launch, back it in with winch and safety chain attached. Get in and fire up the motor, shift to forward and give it enough gas to hold depending on ramp angle, get out and unhook the safety chain and winch, get back in , put 'er in neutral and roll off.

Loading, drive it on and leave it in Forward with enough throttle to hold position, get out and attach the winch and safety chain, get back in and throttle down and shut off. I've been dong that every trip out for over 15 years. Works every time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I launched my boat for years with a roller trailer. unplug trailer, turn on bilge blowers, remove the transom straps at the top of the ramp, put in plug, back in until the fenders are about 2" above the water. grab a bow line, tie it to the dock cleat, tie the aft line to another doc cleat. undo safety chain, undo catch pawl. slowly unwind boat winch alowing about 5-6 feet of winch strap out. once boat settles, unhook strap and lay over trailer crossmember. jump in boat, fire it up. walk it to end of pier and tie off. jump back in truck to park. walk back to boat and go boating. total time about 3 minutes.

retrieval is reverse. tie off at end of dock, turn off motor. walk to get truck, back in until fenders just above water, jump on pier, untie boat and walk it to trailer until keel touches keel roller, jump off pier and hook up winch line. winch boat up the 5', install safety chain. pull to top of ramp, install transom straps and pull plug. plug trailer lights back in, and leave. total time about 3 minutes

Fed

Commander
If you want to drive on & off the trailer run a rope from the rear starboard bollard with a loop in the end & attach a downward facing hook to the trailer near the drivers position, lower the rope loop over the hook for both launching & retrieving.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That Is how a well greased roller trailer works; use the bow line method. I do it that way and my ramp does not have a dock right next to it.
This works great for bow riders or for a cuddy where you have easy access to the bow.
Before launching I put the looped end of a line under one of the bow cleats. Then I loop that line around the winch post and tie it off on the opposite bow cleat. Then back it down the ramp till the stern is floating. Now with the bow line holding the boat, you can wind out the winch; the line will hold it. I put the drive down about half way and start it up.after it warms up a bit untie one end of that line. My boat will come back a bit more but it will not float all the way off. I put it in rev and just back off.

When retrieving I have the looped end of the line on one bow cleat, I drive it up as close as I can to the winch post and leave it idling in fwd. Then loop the line round the winch post and tie off the free end to the other bow cleat. Then I can shift to neutral shut it off and trim up the drive. Then I climb over the bow and hook up the winch and winch it up the rest of the way.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
This doesn't seem like a problem. To me it's every boater's dream.

I have a SS eyebolt on top of my fenders. I back in so the fenders just get wet, and so the winch stand is no where near the water's edge. I put on bow and stern lines and hold them in my hands. Then unlatch the winch and let the boat glide off by itself while I firmly hold the lines. The bow eye ends up right at the fender. Untie the winch and clip it to the fender eye. Tie the boat off and park the car.

On retrieval, I pull the bow in so it is next to the fender. The winch line is already there. Hook it up and then crank the winch.

The last trailer crossmember has a Stoltz self-centering roller. The boat is straight on the trailer 100% every time. The winch stand doesn't have a silly safety line to catch the boat if it flies off. It has a HD chain and turnbuckle to keep the boat steady no matter what.

Easy peasy, no wet feet, only tie the ramp up for 2-3 minutes, no back strain, no power loading damage to the ramp