i need a quick fix for this:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
sf8n79.jpg

cant believe the whole thing didn't come off on the highway, and lucky it didn't at 65 mph!!!!!!!!...got all the way to the ramp and was prepping and looked down and saw this. I have seatow trailer gold, and they paid $300 of the $450 tow job!!!!!!!!! I think the combo of the washer and catle nut and the low fender, kept the tire on the stub of the axle!.....a grease cap came off and I thought there was lots of grease I should be fine.... went home and back and this is the result.......got to be dilligent

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think the quick fix is a new trailer. Whatever kept it together was aided by a lot of luck.

Is the spindle shot? A grease cap won't stay on that hub, most likely.

Grab a couple of lottery tickets while out getting parts.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see a quick fix without knowing what the hub looks like.

If the hub and axle is intact, then drive the races out, install new, repack, seal and go.

If it is not, then need to re think

airshot

Rear Admiral
How ironic, I had the exact same thing happen to me two summers back, in fact your pic looks just like my trailer wheel... Only difference was I was on my way home from the ramp when it happened after 4th july fireworks. We noticed the wheel wobbling when backing into the barn. Simple solution is to just replace the axle and both hubs, in other words start over. That is definetly the safest thing to do, you could also weld a new axle stub on, on mine we dropped the axle and cut off both spindles and welded on new ones, also started with all new hubs, bearings etc....not interested in going thru that again!! Saving a few bucks is not worth it by any means!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
yeah the inner races on the spindle were half there!!! everything else...GONE.. the part of the hub that extended out of the wheel, busted off...the underside of the spindle was half worn flat....when I cut the u bolts off the springs...both bottom leafs where broken...might have been like that a while...so I needed to buy an axle two hubs u bolts and plates and springs, plus spring bolts. I think how unfortunate this happened, but cant get out of my head how lucky it didn't turn in a health hazard for me or anyone else!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
One good thing is you didn't have to chase the tire down a gully. :eek:

Tire came out undamaged?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Make sure the new axle assembly and springs are rated for the load you're carrying. Broken springs and a blown apart hub may be an indicator the last ones weren't.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
yeah the tire is looking great still...1 year old and looks new. The springs are 1800 lbs each and the axle is 3500 lbs.... the whole rig weighs 2700 lbs...trailer , boat-motor, full tank of gas. the hubs are 1750 lbs each with 1-1/16th X 1-3/8th bearings.... the tires are d rated trailer tires

gm280

Supreme Mariner
IF, and that is a BIG IF, the spindle is not all chewed up, you can buy a new hub and replace it with of course new bearings and races. But I would have to see the spindle first. JMHO

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
spindle was destroyed on the underside.... bearing material was ground into the spindle on one side..and the larger inner race was just about melted to the spindle.

dia

could not even imagine even thinking about trying to cobb a hub onto that mess!!!!!!!!!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
time for a new axle Bob.. I'd replace the hubs too.... how heavy is your boat? you can get a good one (axle) for bout $200 give or take few bucks... replacing the axle is a bit of a job, but nothing that cant be handled with right tools.. put boat on jack stands.. and also use blocks as secondary support on the trailer frame.. you can have the new axle on in an hour, new "U" bolts/plates, use loctite "red", be safe...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
time for a new axle Bob.. I'd replace the hubs too.... how heavy is your boat? you can get a good one (axle) for bout $200 give or take few bucks... replacing the axle is a bit of a job, but nothing that cant be handled with right tools.. put boat on jack stands.. and also use blocks as secondary support on the trailer frame.. you can have the new axle on in an hour, new "U" bolts/plates, use loctite "red", be safe...

yeah I did two axles last year on a dual axle trailer and I put the axle that went bad on about 8 years ago!!!.... the trailer axle and springs were all off sunday afternoon... I just got my parts today....ill put them on tonight or tomorrow after work...we got 3 " of freezing rain last night is looks like snow but it is all granular!!!

boat weights about 2000 lbs rigged, trailer is 700 lbs......axle was about $150....