Considerations when adding tongue length

Red_Fisher

Cadet
I've found some information here, but not specifically what I require.

My truck tailgate cannot open as it will hit the trailer winch post, therefore I would like to extend the tongue with maybe a swing hinge.

What are the pro's & con's of lengthening the tongue?
Do I need to move the trailer axle forward?
How will the additional length change trailering, control, sway and backing?
Any other considerations?
etc etc....

My 1996 17.5 ft Crestliner Sportfish fits nicely on the roller trailer and it tows well. If lengthening the tongue has adverse effects, I will not make any changes.

Your advice and thoughts????

robert graham

Admiral
Rule of thumb is trailer tongue weight should be about 10% of total rig weight....so any changes in tongue length should take that into consideration...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've used a tongue extender (about 2') at times to launch our boat on a very shallow, beach-type ramp. The extra length actually makes backing up easier, I think. It does change the turn radius a bit, so you have to adjust for that. You should check on a scale, but I would guess 18-24" of extension won't make a huge difference. I've seen some really long extenders, and those I think would require some weight adjustment.

tpenfield

Staff member
It sounds like you do not need too much of an extension, just enough to clear the tailgate. The impact on the tongue weight is going to be minimal, although it will be a bit lighter.

Once you get the extension in place you can give the rig some trial runs to see if the handling is off much. I would not anticipate you needing to move the axle, maybe just load more 'stuff' in the forward part if the boat.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Stinger would be the easier solution if you have a receiver hitch. Another option is a sliding tongue, find a piece of tubing that just fits inside the current tongue so you can extend by sliding the tongue out and use a couple hitch pins to hold in place. You could also slide it in shorter for storage if needed.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Longer tongue will increase real estate required to maneuver on ramps and such, but it does dampen swings in response to steering wheel movement.

thumpar

Admiral
I extended mine about 3'. There was no difference other than making it easier to launch. The added length wasn't a storage issue because it is a removable tongue.

Red_Fisher

Cadet
Wow....thanks gang! I never knew these easy and cheap solutions existed. My trailer currently tows well so I didn't want to mess around with the configuration too much, and I am also considering upgrading the entire boat and trailer so i didn't want to spend a lot of money. In spring I will measure exactly how much extension I need for the tailgate clearance, and likely get something like this at my local automotive/ trailer store:

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/hi...Q!p08AHIB0hFpc

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
17.5 ' boat doesn't sound to heavy. As long as you have a capable truck it should handle moving the tongue a couple inches. When u move it, Google how to check tongue weight and there's a way to do it with a bathroom scale