Pontoon Trailer single axle?

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
The old gent down the road just came back from Florida dragging a Pontoon behind him. I help him out with his projects as he has COPD. The pontoon is a 1991 Sun Cruiser with a 1001 Evinrude 40HP. The deck is 16'6" long and the pontoons are 20' long. The trailer only has one axle and he is kind of nervous about that. I truthfully haven't seen one with a single axle trailer. Trailer has 5 lug wheels, 14" wheels and tires. I believe the axle would be rated at 3500 lbs. Should we be looking to put an additional axle under this pontoon?
One way or the other we will have to adjust the axle as there is very little tongue weight currently and it gave him a rough time driving back from Florida.. I am guessing 40 lbs. I will be putting a scale under it later this week to get a more accurate tongue weight.
Thanks much
Bill

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
plenty of 'toon trailers with a single axle. make sure the tongue weight is about 10% of the weight of the trailer

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
a single axle is fine for a 20 footer over that length it 2 axles it should be rated at 3500 pounds and its well with in that range