Removable tongue stolen. Freedom 180 F&S

love2fishfork

Recruit
I store my 1993 180 Freedom at a self storage place. I remove the tongue and place it under the boat. Someone stole it!!! Don't know why but now I need to make a replacement. Does anyone know the total length of the removable tongue?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

I would contact the trailer company. the length varies

love2fishfork

Recruit
I was under the impression that Four Winns is the trailer manufacturer. I did contact them, but they were unable to help me due to the age of the boat. I was hoping someone with a similar boat could get me a measurement.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe you have an old photo of your rig and sorta eyeball it....then adjust length of tongue for about 10% weight of rig????

jbcurt00

Staff member
Even if trailer isnt titled in your state, its likely to have a VIN plate, which shows trailer maker, model and specs.....

Title/reg should also list maker

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was under the impression that Four Winns is the trailer manufacturer. I did contact them, but they were unable to help me due to the age of the boat. I was hoping someone with a similar boat could get me a measurement.

Four Winns makes the boat. they bought the trailer from a trailer manufacture, even the private labeled ones are nothing more than something like a Shoreland'r with different decals

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I store my 1993 180 Freedom at a self storage place. I remove the tongue and place it under the boat. Someone stole it!!! Don't know why but now I need to make a replacement. Does anyone know the total length of the removable tongue?

Does the self storage place have video security cameras? Most around me do.

Fun Times

Staff member
Four Winns makes the boat. they bought the trailer from a trailer manufacture.
While I'm not sure of the exact year Four Winns started this but "Typically" (unless special ordered without) from new Four Winns is one of the few boating manufactures that also builds their own boat trailers for each model boat built in house...Well actually last I recall, the trailers were built on the same property but in a separate building of the main boat manufacturing building and now it seems in searching the F-W property address online, it appears they may of expanded their operation/property line a bit more most likely due to they're also building the Glastron/Wellcraft lines too.

http://www.fourwinns.com/key-advantages.aspx#Tab971

Being a 1993 I believe is just roughly 3 years to old to look up parts via the online F-W parts catalog as the online look up chart seems to have started in 1996+.
If you happen to have the trailer vin number and should the following link work/open for you, you could try inputting the vin # to see if anything comes up... http://parts.fwdealer.com/

This past iboats member with a 1993 F-W was able to get his trailer vin number using his boat hull ID number through Four Winns, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...ler-vin-number

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just nothing worse than a common thief! Todays society wants to brag about steeling and posting it on social media...what is this world coming to??

love2fishfork

Recruit
Yeah I don't quite understand why anyone would take my tongue. It would serve no purpose other than scrap metal. The storage place does have cameras, but I would need to know the exact date of when it was taken, which I don't know. Thanks for all of the great information here.

thumpar

Admiral
I would just estimate the length. Unless you have a removable brake line you just need to get it close to what it was. I extended mine a few years ago to get deeper in the water. It barely changed the tongue weight.

love2fishfork

Recruit
I found this picture. It's a 96 trailer, but looks identical. Based on this picture I'm going to guesstimate that the length of the tongue receptacle is about 1/3 the total length of the tongue. Since the receptacle on my trailer is 2', I'm going to guess that the tongue is 6'.

Does this seem reasonable?
FRAME%20SINGLE.JPG

Baylinerchuck

Commander
6' seems like a really good guess based on the picture posted. I would definitely start there, and you probably will be in great shape. I never knew that some trailers were built this way. Looks to be better than a swing away tongue......unless of course some jack hole steals it........:censored:

thumpar

Admiral
That is how mine is but needed the quick disconnect brake line hose. It makes for a trailer that is shorter than the boat.