trailer tires

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I guess I must be extremely fortunate. I have never ever experienced a blow out of any of my trailer tires. And I trailer about two hours one way to the lakes tons of times
Try doing 10-20 hour trips and a thousand miles in 100?+ with 7000lbs and then see what happens

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fyi. the 3 tires that blew were 2@ 2yrs old and 1@ 2 weeks old, the spare even though low on air did not blow.... so I'm leaning to UV break down + maybe tire were older than 2 yrs,... they were 2 yrs to me, since they blew and gone I have no way of looking at date stamp.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you can find a Good Year Marathon tire in that weight rating do yourself a favor and buy em. They last forever (it seems anyway) have never had a flat spot.
I just changed out all 4 Marathons on my 26 foot travel travel trailer. I've owned that camper for about 7 years and those tires were on it when I purchased it. Still went down the road like a dream until I changed them to new Marathons, now it's even better.

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Goodyear does not make an E load Marathon but they do have it in an Endurance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Too bad Marathons are made in China now. Days of good Marathons are gone. The ones on your travel trailer were likely one of the last US made ones.

It's interesting that the Endrance model is made in the US. I would use them over the Marathons.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Over the years of trailering, I had several blowouts. Most of them are from road debris, etc but had one that just failed. I could see a very slight sort of wobbling of the tire in my side mirror and I some reason rationalized in my head that it was just me seeing it and it burst. These things added to us just finally settling down on a lake and now only trailer two miles per year. Never had a blow out on any of my other trailers.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I back my 5th wheel onto boards to get the tires off the ground......

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
When I `m needing to replace my next set of trailer tires, I am going to seriously look into LT tires for my trailer. Obviously after crunching the numbers to make sure that I will have enough weight support with a safety cushion. LT tires can now be purchased with a much heavier weight rating than they could a few years ago. I`m tired of dry rotting trailer tires showing up every 3 years. I`ve never had a truck tire crack on me in that same period of time. Plus you get a higher speed rating.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I'm not understanding dry rot after only a few years. Seems like a fair amount of members have this issue.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I'm not understanding dry rot after only a few years. Seems like a fair amount of members have this issue.....

I think, and that could be a problem, that dry rot is merely UV deterioration with sidewall cracks and such. I know I have a lot of that type problem on my lawn mower. But the tires on it are 20 years old and I can't complain replacing them. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have never seen it either but I keep my tires covered.

bigdee

Commander
No brainer....run max pressure on trailer tires. If you have a problem with that go buy LT passenger tires! which,by the way, will work. Don't understand why people are afraid to run max pressure on trailer rated tires......that is the recommendation and it is AIR PRESSURE that gives structural integrity to the tire.

Thalasso

Commander
P-metric or Euro-metric if used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%

bigdee

Commander
P-metric or Euro-metric if used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%

Simply because of no shocks on trailer. If trailer had shocks there would be no difference.....LT tire could care less whether it was on a truck or trailer.

Thalasso

Commander
Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. (LT tires)