trailer tires

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
last year I had a BAD summer with 3 blow outs on 2yr old tires, right now I have 3 different tires on the trailer. we do a lot of hauling the boat around so I'm going to go up to a E 10ply tires but what kind do you guys like the most. my trailer is a trailmaster single axle HEAVY with a 3600lbs 21' rinker. some tires say 80lbs psi should I do 80lbs. or 77,75 or even 70lbs?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
you are running "trailer tires" I assume?, sorry had to ask.. some folks dont, and wonder why they have problems... 80 lbs- psi?,, that's a lot.. ive got trailer tires hauling my 20ft cuddy, on a single axle set up, on a 2 year old 3500lb axle... my boats not as heavy as yours... probably 3k, total.... my tires are 2 years old, 55psi, 2020 lb, ea.. for a 4040 lb max load... ran over a nail once... that's it, never had a single problem hauling... i average 1.5 hours one way to get to Finger Lakes near me...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My ins. company suggested running Maxxis tires.

Run the air pressure whatever the max psi says, I'm assuming you have matched load rated tires on it now? If not, that's an issue.....

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes they are trailer tire. the blow outs happened (2) same day about 15miles apart, on a Sunday, holiday weekend after 5pm. not a great day, 1st blew out as we were getting back on highway, but still on ramp, tire blew and wrapped around disc so bad it took 1 1/2 hrs to remove it so it would turn on axle. second tire, which was the spare had about 40psi. in it so shoulder drive for 3 miles to next exit where the air pump was shot...no air! go to second pump but could only get about 50psi. so off we went at a slower pace 55-60mph. boom! passed last exit 5 miles and next exit 20 miles and getting dark! fun times, then a state trooper stopped by and gave us a few numbers to call, guy came out with tires and installed on highway and 3 hours later 2 new tires and on our way home. left Lake Paw Paw Mi. about 3pm and got home about midnight, not bad since we're about 1 1/2 hrs away!!! the 3rd tire blew as we were getting boat out at, yes at Lake Paw Paw, ramp had something in that cut sidewall out!!! I guess Mi. doesn't want us there anymore...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I store my boat with all the weight off the tires now. I had 3 that got a huge bubble where they sat all winter. Now the trailers are on jack stands when they aren't being used.

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the tires I upgraded 2 yrs ago from a 6ply(came on it when I purchased the boat) to a 8ply which had minimum of 2040 per tire. the new 10ply I'm looking at are rated for 2830 each.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Were the tires inflated to the right pressure? The spare was low, that's why it blew. One was cut at the ramp. So 2 of the three weren't tire issues unless you started off with a low tire, the first one that started the story.

You should pick up an air pump to use to check and maintain air pressure, including the spare, before hitting the road.

What is the weight rating on the trailer?

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did check air before we left and it was within 2psi. I did forget to check spare...my bad. both tires on trailer blew up were the new 2 yr. old, I'm thinking after #1 blew that strained #2 or it could have been the highway in Michigan, more pothole than a spring ride on Chicago street! so maybe the belts blew first then after a few miles the tire went too.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
that's a lot of bad Karma... as bruce said... Ive got mine jacked up on blocks.. 90% weight off tires for winter sleep.. if you keep blowing tires out, you might consider installing a heavier axle for that load.....

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
1) Use only trailer tires
2) Keep them inflated to the max psi as indicated on the side of the tire. Be sure you have an accurate tire gauge.
3) Check the sides of the tires for cracking several times a year. If there is cracking replace them. Trailer tires do not generally wear out the tread. The rubber compound wears out. It deteriorates from the outdoor elements, especially sun light. If there is cracking there is a much higher chance of failure. Generally trailer tires that are stored outside have a 2 to 3 year life span. I know lots of people run them lots longer but the tire rubber compound of trailer tires starts breaking down and deteriorating within 2 to 3 years, especially if kept outside.
2) Don't mix tires. If they need replacing replace both at the same time.
I think you were mostly unlucky with the tire failures in a short time. Although I suspect tire deterioration probably was a culprit.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I currently run 16" load-rated, relatively low-sidewall passenger tires on my Cobalt trailer...Having replaced my camper tires x3 times in 8 years, and boat trailer(s) more than a few times...I think the best bang for the buck are radial tires (as opposed to bias-ply tires). My new camper is running 16" trailer specific, radial tires from the manufacturer.

I ran to and from lake at least 20 trips last year along with the trip from COS to Powell without so much as losing any pressure (I check every other trip).

In my opinion (I know what they say) I think the biggest knock against trailer specific tires is how quickly the UV rays break down the sidewall and as mentioned by Bruceb58 and Sprig...having trailer specific, bias-ply tires sitting on the ground under weight causes deformation and flat spots...I agree.

When I purchased my current boat trailer tires I wanted a trailer specific, radial tire, but there was none made that would fit my trailer/wheel combo, LT tire was my second choice, but again, nothing in the size I needed/that would fit. Passenger tires were at the bottom of the list, he assured me as long as the rating exceeds the load (5,350 loaded/4 = 1,338lbs/tire). Mine are rated to 1,800lbs/tire. My buddy's boat trailer came with very wide, low-profile rated passenger tires as well...3 seasons without incident...granted, he's very anal about his maintenance and it sits in the garage 330days out of the year.

I'm not here to debate the validity of what type of tire you're using...just wanted to share my experience and make sure you know a decent tire shop that you can trust? I'll take a radial tire blowout over a bias-ply any day...the radial was a substantially less frightening experience on my CC, single-axle trailer...

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
as mentioned by Bruceb58 and Sprig...having trailer specific, bias-ply tires sitting on the ground under weight causes deformation and flat spots...I agree
All mine are radials too. Still get flat spots with them as well.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
All mine are radials too. Still get flat spots with them as well.

Invest in a set of Maxxis radial ST tires next time and you won't have to worry about flat spots in the spring because you let it sit on the tires all winter..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's my understand the flat spots go away a mile down the road. I've never noticed flat spotting..... But, Maxxis appears to be "the" tire......

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only thing I can add is that all trailer tires I have seen are speed rated at 65 mph. Regularly driving over that speed, and low tire pressure are likely the 2 main killers of trailer tires. #3 would be age and UV.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Invest in a set of Maxxis radial ST tires next time and you won't have to worry about flat spots in the spring because you let it sit on the tires all winter..
See post #4.

I am not taking chances with them either. Trailer sits on jack stands.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess I must be extremely fortunate. I have never ever experienced a blow out of any of my trailer tires. And I trailer about two hours one way to the lakes tons of times, and also hundreds of mile travailing two ATVs to the hunting woods about an hour one way. I do check tire pressures before going on the road, but other then that, I do nothing else with them. :noidea:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
See post #4.

I am not taking chances with them either. Trailer sits on jack stands.

Sorry I missed that. Do what gives you a warm fuzzy. I've never had a radial tire flat spot while being stored or go bad on me during the season so I don't give it a second thought when I store it for the winter.

But, Maxxis appears to be "the" tire......

I went on on RV , boating, and bass fishing forums and that's the tire that seemed to get recommended the most often.