Jet ski + pontoon

So I have a 24 ft crank up dual axle trailer with a 21ft pontoon. I want to buy a 3 person jet ski as kids are getting older and want to tube and such. Pontoon has only 28hp motor so it ain't going to cut. My dilemma is I don't want to have 2 tow vehicles or have to double tow. Seen an idea with a hitch hauler that your still able to attach a trailer too only problem is they are designed for single or stand up jet skis. Problem with this also is a 3person ski is at least 10ft in length most state mine in particular widest width without needing wide load permit it 8ft 6in. I was thinking about trying to make a bunk on the bottom frame rail (the ones that don't move) that the jet ski could sit on sort of tucked under the pontoon deck. Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish such a task in getting a ski and toon to the water with one tow vehicle? And yes I know about putting the ski in bed of truck (f250 7.3 poeerstroke 8ft bed) that would work fine most of time except when taking toon and ski camping as I have a camper that sits in bed of truck. And majority of time that's when we will want to be using everything (toon,ski, and camper). Let me know any thoughts or ideas thank!

oldjeep

Admiral
SOunds like you need to start modifying your pontoon trailer
fetch

fetch

I seen that pic that's where I got the idea from. That's a bunk type trailer mine is a crank up. I would have to measure frame rail width and height ext... But right now it's a high of 5 above 0 with windchills well below 0 here in Wisconsin. Nothing but hard water right now. I think my biggest problem will be the pontoon deck height over the ski. That pontoon looks almost exactly like mine.

oldjeep

Admiral
It would be aweful tough to do that with a crank up since the whole crank/latch assembly is in the way of where the jetski would go.

The boat is actually a 21ft on a trailer for a 24ft so I do have a little bit of wiggle room to slide the boat back just a hair. Hopefully enough to get the handle bars out front from under the deck. Would just have to rig up some sort of bumper to stop pontoon from going to far forward when loading. When weather get a little nicer I will throw the engineer brain into high gear and see what I can come up with. My axles on trailer are adjustable I believe maybe I could slide them back a bit even and get my welder buddy to extend a bunk off the rear??? Come on warm weather 😃

jkust

Rear Admiral
That would be a lot of tongue weight, distribution-wise. The dry weight of my three person ski is somewhere in the 850 neighborhood and betting yours is similar.

I haven't actually bought the ski yet. Just trying to figure out if this would be possible before I invest in the ski itself. And the tongue weight was a concern that's why if the axles are adjustable I thought about adding the bunk to the rear vs. the front. Please any ideas you guys have shoot them my way. Like I said weather here now not exactly what you want to be working in but give it like another 60 days or so and I will be looking at this more.

And as far as ski goes I was looking at like a 95 Sea-Doo GTS or GTX both have a length of 10ft and a dry weight of 465lbs according to the specs. I know fill the gas tank add a fire extinguisher and a few other odds and ends probably adding like another 150-200lbs of weight give or take. So just estimate wise let's call it about 700ish? I preferred that year over newer models because it looks slimmer compared to newer models they look so bulky for what I'm trying to do. Plus I'm a little old school anyway.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here is another idea. I would mount a small picker boom on the pontoon with an electric winch. Then just carry the jetski on the deck and when you want to use it just use the boom to raise and lower it into the water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I think you are glossing over the fact that the ski will be wider than the lifting portion of the trailer. In other words -- it is too wide to fit in that space. Even if the ski was less than 8 ft-6", hauling it crosswise on a carrier and then tugging the pontoon on what amounts to about a three foot hitch extension would make for a very "tail wagging the dog" scenario (yes -- even with an F250). Hauling the ski on the deck of the pontoon significantly raises the CG of the entire rig which can be an issue in even a rather mild emergency move. Buying, or having built, a very long bunk type trailer with enough extra length to do what you want seems like it would work, although a bit expensive. But that's why "boat" = break out another thousand!

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
And as far as ski goes I was looking at like a 95 Sea-Doo GTS or GTX both have a length of 10ft and a dry weight of 465lbs according to the specs. I know fill the gas tank add a fire extinguisher and a few other odds and ends probably adding like another 150-200lbs of weight give or take. So just estimate wise let's call it about 700ish? I preferred that year over newer models because it looks slimmer compared to newer models they look so bulky for what I'm trying to do. Plus I'm a little old school anyway.

Nice choice! I love all my old skis. Make sure you don't overpay. That ski should be under 2k in great condition IMO. For price comparison, I was offered 2200 w/ trailer for my 97 GTX last year.

Not that it matters bc you won't be leaving it in the water, but he 96 and up models have DESS which make it a bit more secure than the 95. I would recommend a 96+ for that reason even if they look bigger. For a 95, you basically push a button and go. No real key needed except a kill switch.

You are right as far as 700lbs that is pretty accurate.
As far as the trailer- put the ski in the bed of the truck and put all the camping stuff in the pontoon for your trip.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Are you sure you want to discount a second vehicle? You can tow a single jetski with almost any car pretty easily.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can you extent the rear of the crank up part 7 feet and put the ski behind the toon? It should sit in that cradle nicely and just crank down a bit to off load the ski before the toon?

Cat nip... Yes that's what I was hoping to do with my welder buddy was to extend a bunk off the original trailer as you described. My other option was to modify the pontoon deck by getting rid of front gate and removing 1 or both of the forward benches and load the jet ski on and off a a removable bunk and essentially purposely submarine the toon to load and unload load. Like silvertip said though the center of gravity on trailer concerns me a bit, I have had the trailer too on me once allready it was a sharp downhill angle turn luckily wasn't going fast because I was aware of the danger. Did end up putting a small hole in pontoon. Had it heli arched for $100 good as new. 😉

I haven't counted out a 2nd tow vehicle for the ski. Problem is the other truck I have is a 04 Tahoe AWD (wife's car) gets 15mpg without any load on it. My power stroke got 17 with the camper loaded and boat on last year's trip, I get about 20-21 without a load. My truck is manual hub 4x4 so I can operate in 2wd while cruising down highway and only turn 4x4 on at ramp IF I need it thus the better mpg's. Sea Doo Sam that's why I can't put ski in truck when we use for camping, I have a "slide in" type truck camper that sits in bed of truck. Can't load it on the boat 😃 also don't want to have to pay 2 launch fees, usual place we go it's $8 not like it's terrible but 2 trailer makes it $16 and we go at least once a week. supposed to hit 40* on Tuesday here might go take some pics and measure trailer if possible, it is covered and put away right now though.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Buy a tritoon instead. More up front money but one rig to tow, launch, and maintain.

Buy a tritoon instead. More up front money but one rig to tow, launch, and maintain.

I allready own the 21 foot pontoon bought it 2 years ago for $1200 from my dad's friend when he bought a new one. So buying a tritoon now is out of question. Current toon is rated up to 40hp motor was thinking of buying a pontoon waterglide system up repowering it with a 50hp but for less money than that I can buy the ski. Weather here got a little better last 2 days I took a look at my trailer I think like the picture posted on page 1 that something like that should work. But will have to see when I actually go to look at some skis and take measurements and such.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't counted out a 2nd tow vehicle for the ski. Problem is the other truck I have is a 04 Tahoe AWD (wife's car) gets 15mpg without any load on it. My power stroke got 17 with the camper loaded and boat on last year's trip, I get about 20-21 without a load. My truck is manual hub 4x4 so I can operate in 2wd while cruising down highway and only turn 4x4 on at ramp IF I need it thus the better mpg's. Sea Doo Sam that's why I can't put ski in truck when we use for camping, I have a "slide in" type truck camper that sits in bed of truck. Can't load it on the boat 😃 also don't want to have to pay 2 launch fees, usual place we go it's $8 not like it's terrible but 2 trailer makes it $16 and we go at least once a week. supposed to hit 40* on Tuesday here might go take some pics and measure trailer if possible, it is covered and put away right now though.

Oh ok, was just a thought. Have you looked at a seadoo XP? They are very small and two strong people can lift it

Need a 3 seater to leagally tow a tube/water skier here in Wisconsin. Have to have a seat for driver spoter and tub/skier on board the PWC. That's what I'm going for is that the kids are older now and naturally want to go faster especially my son God help me 😧

jkust

Rear Admiral
Another limitation....bummer. Sounds like the only viable option is two tow vehicles or possibly just buy a place on a lake and a lift for the pontoon and the ski and have fun.