Single Axle Scissor Trailer - 24 foot older toon? Dangerous?

Harris Flote

Recruit
I just bought my first toon. A 1974 Harris FloteBote 240a. No motor, nor much superstructure. I notice Harris specs show weight at 1900 pounds. Not sure with or without Motor (?) I DO have a single axle and the tires are quite small, compared to my larger 14" tires on utility trailers. Feels a little shaky to me with a single axle on a 1900 pound boat.

Not knowing better, I just drove about 150 miles towing this on the expressway at 55mph. Intuitively I did think about going around turns and all was well. However getting home and getting on the internet wondering what to do? Add another axle? (I can weld and fabricate) I want to pull it about 20 miles to a small lake I own, where it may stay, though I was thinking about making some fishing trips.

Other than being careful on turns, what else should I do

IMG_8443 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Harris Flote

Recruit
Picture of my boat with single axle trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_8443 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8443 (Large).JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
as long as its in good condition it shouldn't be any problem and yes it can be a problem on sharp turns but other than that is fine

jbcurt00

Staff member
When you say that the trailer tires are quite small, how small?

Even a load range C 13in tire might only have a 1000lb load capacity per tire..

W a 1900lb boat, you might be over the tire capacity w the trailer weight, esp if the 1900lbs is dry w out motor.

And small, light load tires would often be found on light load axles. So check you axle capacity too.

Harris Flote

Recruit
as long as its in good condition it shouldn't be any problem and yes it can be a problem on sharp turns but other than that is fine

I will be careful on sharp turns.

I estimate about 13". Looks undersized. I may have a look when I get the trailer out and see about upgrading.

When I drove in my compound I hit a few small chuckholes, going slowly, and it rocked back and forth a bit. One of my tires are a bit low. I now have the boat where I plan for it to stay a while and may ;lower it and pull the trailer out and have it a look. It has some surface rust and I want to be sure nothing eaten through.

IMG_8443 (2) (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the axle and tires are both rated above the combined weight of boat, trailer, and if there, motor, then there is nothing wrong with a single axle trailer.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
btw thats a real good looking Harris i use a 1988 riviera cruiser, that i did a full rebuild on a few years ago lol and i did it a lot cheaper than new and i got it exactly the way i waned it, i boat on a 10 hp lake so its mostly all pontoons, the marina holds 270 boats so we have boats from 1967 to 2016 your boat is a classic, and you will find it to be a very well built boat and can be built into what ever suits your needs, i did mine over a 3 year period altho it never really stops, if you look at the bottom of my signature it will show you a bit of what i did

Last edited:

Harris Flote

Recruit
btw thats a real good looking Harris i use a 1988 riviera cruiser, that i did a full rebuild on a few years ago lol and i did it a lot cheaper than new and i got it exactly the way i waned it, i boat on a 10 hp lake so its mostly all pontoons, the marina holds 270 boats so we have boats from 1967 to 2016 your boat is a classic, and you will find it to be a very well built boat and can be built into what ever suits your needs, i did mine over a 3 year period altho it never really stops, if you look at the bottom of my signature it will show you a bit of what i did

WOW! You really worked hard. Do you like Sunbrella? Thanks for compliments on our boat. I love vintage!! Just finished restoring a 1920 Cadillac Phaeton. Thinking about getting a trailer hitch to pull by my 1959 Cadillac. Pontoon should look good.
|

Back to my boat, just got a copy of the brochure on my 1974 Harris FloteBote from Harris website. Seems the weight is either 1025 lbs with a 19" pontoons, or 1225lbs if it has 21" pontoons. So my single axle trailer should be good enough. I may ask you for advice to get my boat in shape. Want it nice.

Here is my '59 Cadillac. Took the picture at Stone Mountain GA
1959 Convertible-01.jpg

Brochure for my boat
View attachment 1974 240 SPECS HARRIS (1).pdf

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have had a sumbrella cover and Bimini top for 6 years and it still looks new

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Nice Land Yacht, I mean Caddy, a bit lethal for the poor cyclist who pedals into those fins on the back. Back then, Cadillac knew how to make a car, unlike the high priced suspensionless things they build now
390 for an engine?

Last edited: