Bow Roller and Bow D-Ring Position

AusMongrel

Cadet
Hi All,

I am terribly sorry if this has been covered, but It has me beat and I need some advice.

I just bought my 2nd boat. A Sea Ray 185 Sport and it came already on a trailer - This is a 2008 model, so not new off the floor.

The first thing I noticed was that the bow D-Ring was not hard up to the winch bow roller. After much adjustment of the winch post etc, I can not get that D-Ring to snug up to the roller.

I had a look at my existing boat (which I am selling) and the winch is on an angle, which makes it easy to get the D-Ring to snug up to the roller. With this new boat, once the winch strap's hook gets to the roller, the boat is pulled down and is clamped hard to the bow roller. I have tried everything, and it appears that because the winch plate is flat, the strap's hook makes the boat get pulled down.

I always thought the D-Ring should be hard up to that roller to stop the boat rolling forward once breaks are applied.

The red boat in the picture is my old boat - note the angle of the winch. The other is the new boat, and you can really see but there is a couple of finger spaces between the roller and the D-Ring. Worse now that I have put a new roller on it. The third picture is how the previous owner had it setup up. The D-Ring was nowhere near the roller. :( I have it close - just not close enough I think.

Any thoughts? Should I get a new winch post to better match the boat. I don't think this trailer was originally setup for this boat - I think it's generic.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• boats1.jpg
    boats1.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 4
  • boats2.jpg
    boats2.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 4
  • winch.jpg
    winch.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 6

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
There is a U-bolt on the vertical post of the winch. Loosen it and lower the bow roller until it is resting on top of the bow eye. You may have to shift the entire pedestal closer to the boat an inch or two as well.

alldodge

Staff member
I like is to have the roller directly under the strap and this way the boat cannot move up or down. In doing this, I also don't have straps or chains to secure the bow. The new boat uses the roller as a bow stop and not to secure it. The two chains handle this issue so I don't see a problem.

fetch

Fed

Commander
Almost got it with picture 2, if you can't get it to 'wedge' into the Vee formed by the hull & the D by lowering the winch then you may have to go to a smaller roller.
Either way you're on the right track, roller above strap and wedged in to the Vee formed but putting no significant upward or downward pressure on the hull.

AusMongrel

Cadet
There is a U-bolt on the vertical post of the winch. Loosen it and lower the bow roller until it is resting on top of the bow eye. You may have to shift the entire pedestal closer to the boat an inch or two as well.

That's as close as I can get it. What actually seems to be happening is when the Bow Eye gets close to the roller, the claw on the strap hits the roller, and pulls the boat in a downward motion, so it can't get the Bow Eye up any further - does that make sense?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
That's as close as I can get it. What actually seems to be happening is when the Bow Eye gets close to the roller, the claw on the strap hits the roller, and pulls the boat in a downward motion, so it can't get the Bow Eye up any further - does that make sense?

​Yes it does. When setting up your winch, remember the strap should be level between the bow eye and the winch drum. Doing this before making any other adjustments has always put the bow eye right where it should be for me.
​I don't think changing the winch or pedestal is going to make any difference.
You may still have the winch just a touch low...

As mentioned, if you leave it as is, you are not going to have any problems.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
+1 on AllDodge's post. This is exactly how my Capri was set up. I used the winch to pull the boat up until the rear chain was tight. If I had to brake hard, the boat wasn't going anywhere.

AusMongrel

Cadet
Thanks guys.

I have always run a chain system similar to these. I have always had this fear of hitting the brake and the winch post or bow roller bracket folding and the boat launching forward.

I will keep my eye on it but would feel better if it was hard up. Maybe a "brake check" before strapping her up at the ramp might get it to move a little. Not a favoured technique.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The boats2 jpg shows it as good as it can be. The winch strap looks like it will be pulling almost horizontal and the bow eye is under the bow roller

Fed

Commander
Almost got it with picture 2, if you can't get it to 'wedge' into the Vee formed by the hull & the D by lowering the winch then you may have to go to a smaller roller.
Either way you're on the right track, roller above strap and wedged in to the Vee formed but putting no significant upward or downward pressure on the hull.
Sorry AusMongrel picture 2 should have read boats2. (Actually it should have read picture 3 but my brain farted)
Smaller diameter roller to get the last inch or so and worth doing in my book.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why not change the roller to a bow 'V' block that way the winch strap and hook would pull tight right under the block.

AusMongrel

Cadet
Hmm... If I chance to a V-Block, I would have to change the mounting system right? I think I might leave it as is. Went out yesterday and I am happy with where it's sitting now.

Fed

Commander
I feel your pain mate, you do realize you will never stop thinking about it? :D
So close but still not close enough. HaHaHaHa!
winch.JPG

Smaller diameter roller and/or if your hook is not stitched on then a stainless steel "S" type hook might do it.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmm... If I chance to a V-Block, I would have to change the mounting system right? I think I might leave it as is. Went out yesterday and I am happy with where it's sitting now.

The 'V' block should bolt right in place of the roller. With the 'V' block being flat on the bottom it would allow you to pull the bow hook right up against the bottom of the 'V' block.