trailer brakes

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I recently replaced my old drum surge brake system with a surge disc brake setup. The tongue is removable which makes hooking up the reverse solenoid on the actuator problematic. The old system had a quick release fitting on the trailer side to allow removal of the tongue. Seems like removing that fitting each time will introduce air into the system and require bleeding the system very often. Whats the right way to make this connection?

Attachments

• photo255985.jpg
    photo255985.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
The old system had a quick release fitting on the trailer side to allow removal of the tongue. Seems like removing that fitting each time will introduce air into the system and require bleeding the system very often.

Ayuh,.... I'm bettin' that fittin' admits awhole lot less air into the system, than you think it admits into the system,....

You can go to a straight hose/ or line, but the tongue is no longer removable,....

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you can use a rubber break line hose at the pivot point, problem solved

Alumarine

Captain
you can use a rubber break line hose at the pivot point, problem solved

Yes, I just replaced the Surge Brake Actuator on a friends trailer and it came from the factory with a rubber brake hose to allow the tongue to swing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Using those fitting will definitely introduce air over time. If the tongue is removable and you don't mind removing the tongue and setting it to the side, a long piece of rubber brake line is the preferred way.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
Thank you oldjeep,
That is exactly what I was looking for.