Source for extra large frame u-bolts?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I purchased a Smith 40" LED Lighted Heavy Duty Post Guide kit for my trailer, but the U-bolts were way too short to reach the bottom of the frame. So I ordered their Large Frame U-bolt kit - 3" wide x 5.25" tall. Turns out they are too short too! :mad-new:

​They only barely reach to the bottom of the frame, so now I'm looking for a U-bolt set that's a bit longer. Surely I'm not the only person to have suffered this problem.
Any body else found a set of man sized U-bolts for this application?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most shops that do suspension work should be able to make them for you.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The largest McMasters Carr has is 2"x6 5/8" which could work. I'm also concerned about using these guides with a boat this heavy. It doesn't seem it would take a whole lot to bend them. Perhaps they'd do better on my little boat...

alldodge

Staff member
I'm also concerned about using these guides with a boat this heavy. It doesn't seem it would take a whole lot to bend them. Perhaps they'd do better on my little boat...

I wouldn't use them on your size boat, they are for small boats

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't use them on your size boat, they are for small boats

It's a shame the manufacturers of these things don't come out and say this. On the other hand, after actually holding the product in my hands, I suppose a boat of any size could bend them, especially in a river current.
I specifically bought this kit for the lighted poles to aid in night time recovery. However, I do have some lights I could mount to the top of the fenders to do essentially the same thing, though they wouldn't be as visible.

Seems like the smart thing to do is to mount the poles to the little boat trailer. At least I'd get my money back when I sell the boat this spring.

Alumarine

Captain
If you have a torch you can make your own ubolts with threaded rod and a vice.
Not as nice looking as store bought though.