Help me decide...2 Ram 1500s

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Driving in general. It's all due to the fact they eliminated grease fittings. Everything is sealed, but hasn't proven to be reliable. It is also my understanding it's not just RAM. Basically, if a guy starts replacing frontend parts you go aftermarket and get ones with zerks. I plow snow a lot, so one would think it would be tougher on a frontend and would wear out sooner, which is partially true. My brother has a 1500 and his went out at 50k, no plowing. My 3/4ton has 1 ton axles. The ball joints are loose from the factory, I know, and if they go out of spec just a few thousandths, they need/should be replaced. This came straight from a RAM dealer.

That being said, as mentioned, issues were addressed and supposedly fixed. I just don't know the year of the change. You can tell by the arms that were changed. Maybe look at a 2016 and compare to earlier ones. If they look the same, you know the upgrade was made. I forget what they call those arms. Some sort of trailing/control arm....... You can see the arms on each side. Looks like they started in '14. This is a 2500. Haven't researched the 1500. But, at least you can see what I'm talking about...

The 6.4 Hemi is kinda nice too, 410 Hp/429lb-ft torque....

Still want to hear about RAM not having a towing package.......
link-coil.jpg

Thanks for the explaination! And thanks AllDodge. If i buy the 2015 it has 20k miles left on the bumper to bumper and then I believe it has a powertrain one till 60,000 miles.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Also I'm with you on towing package thing. I'm pretty sure it is an option on the "build and price" section of The Ram website

oldjeep

Admiral
Do explain....... What are RAMs missing?

Maybe look at an SLT Bighorn. They have some nice creature comforts... Laramie's are top of the line, I believe. Keep in mind that RAMs are noted for frontend issues, yes even Fords. My last Ram, 2012, had issues at 50k. Same with the previous ones. I now have a 2016 SLT BigHorn 2500, my others were 2500s, and supposedly the frontend issues have been resolved. Time will tell. I also don't know the year they went to a slightly different frontend. 1500s had the issues too. Given that, I would have gone with #2. Even 1/2 tons are getting extremely expensive.....

Have a feeling the Tradesman listed above would be like apples and oranges to the Laramie.....

They are not missing anything, they just put a "towing package" on every truck. Where on other brands for some reason they think you don't need a big trans cooler or a hitch unless you pay extra.

4th Gen 1500's (2009 and up) have no front end issues that I have ever heard of. 140K on mine on the original front end parts (except shocks)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
They are not missing anything, they just put a "towing package" on every truck. Where on other brands for some reason they think you don't need a big trans cooler or a hitch unless you pay extra.

Thanks for the clarification. Your other post made it sound like RAM didn't have a "true" towing package......

No doubt RAMs towing package is already figured into the price.